Caring for loved ones?

Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Money

Community Manager
AARPLynne

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
hvharris40

Re: What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Find a better facility to take care of my husband.  Medicaid is helpful, but it left us with half of what we started with.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Social Butterfly
ASTRAEA

I've had that experience. The first time, it allowed me to retire way early, when I became a caregiver & was burned out at work already. The second time, it insured a secure & comfortable retirement, and the ability to be more philanthropic. Since I have no siblings, spouse or children, I consider myself just a steward of the windfalls I received, and expect to leave it all to charity in the end.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Please use plain text.
Bronze Conversationalist
verymery

First of all a ‘windfall’ of money would be as likely as getting struck by lightning.  There will be no inheritance as I have no money in my family…we are all workers though…worker bees I guess you could say….but a very happy group.  Our children have all gone to collage though.

I never got the opportunity to go to college and by the time I got older I tried to go back…during the crash actually…but it was far too expensive and I was just too darn old to go that deep in debt.   I have sort of come to terms with my poorness…so I won’t ‘dream’ too hard.  However, if I were to come into some cash I would buy myself a house and pay cash for it.  Get a Roth IRA and a few more investments, set myself up for a comfortable retirement….then take the vacation of a lifetime with all my adult children.  

Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
retiredtraveler

Since we're doing well already, I would start shipping monies over to family members.

“The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
― George Carlin
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
nomadsadn

Most for savings, some for charity and some for family---maybe a nice dinner out.

Please use plain text.
brball8
Topics: 0
Kudos: 3
Blog Posts: 0

Pay off my student loans so I could retire before I turn 72.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
carmoo13

I am out of a job for two years i would pay off my mortgage first, then i would give some to charity and then to my family who need it. 

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
sl6014

I would pay off my bills. Pay off my kids car loans, and start a college fund for my 3yr old granddaughter.

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
fm104

I would pay off my childrens' school loans, buy a large piece of land and build a simple, ranch-style community house for my family, so no one in our family would ever have to worry about mortgages or loosing their home. I would indulge more in my charities and to my churches. Finally, I would build a fund for nurses who get into financial troubles for whatever reason because they give unconditionally on a daily basis to strangers.

Please use plain text.