Help AARP Foundation Rush Aid to Seniors Affected by Flooding in Louisiana. Give Now

Highlighted
Community Manager

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Message 1 of 652 (24,912 Views)
What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?
Info Seeker

Re: What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Message 2 of 652 (24,892 Views)

Find a better facility to take care of my husband.  Medicaid is helpful, but it left us with half of what we started with.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 652 (24,886 Views)

I've had that experience. The first time, it allowed me to retire way early, when I became a caregiver & was burned out at work already. The second time, it insured a secure & comfortable retirement, and the ability to be more philanthropic. Since I have no siblings, spouse or children, I consider myself just a steward of the windfalls I received, and expect to leave it all to charity in the end.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Silver Conversationalist

Message 4 of 652 (24,868 Views)

First of all a ‘windfall’ of money would be as likely as getting struck by lightning.  There will be no inheritance as I have no money in my family…we are all workers though…worker bees I guess you could say….but a very happy group.  Our children have all gone to collage though.

I never got the opportunity to go to college and by the time I got older I tried to go back…during the crash actually…but it was far too expensive and I was just too darn old to go that deep in debt.   I have sort of come to terms with my poorness…so I won’t ‘dream’ too hard.  However, if I were to come into some cash I would buy myself a house and pay cash for it.  Get a Roth IRA and a few more investments, set myself up for a comfortable retirement….then take the vacation of a lifetime with all my adult children.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 652 (24,846 Views)

Since we're doing well already, I would start shipping monies over to family members.

If you really want change, vote Libertarian
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 652 (24,812 Views)

Most for savings, some for charity and some for family---maybe a nice dinner out.

Topics: 0
Kudos: 3
Blog Posts: 0

Message 7 of 652 (24,802 Views)
Pay off my student loans so I could retire before I turn 72.
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 652 (25,300 Views)

I am out of a job for two years i would pay off my mortgage first, then i would give some to charity and then to my family who need it. 

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 652 (25,306 Views)

I would pay off my bills. Pay off my kids car loans, and start a college fund for my 3yr old granddaughter.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 652 (25,293 Views)

I would pay off my childrens' school loans, buy a large piece of land and build a simple, ranch-style community house for my family, so no one in our family would ever have to worry about mortgages or loosing their home. I would indulge more in my charities and to my churches. Finally, I would build a fund for nurses who get into financial troubles for whatever reason because they give unconditionally on a daily basis to strangers.