AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Regular Social Butterfly

Spendthrift or Skinflint?

Message 1 of 18 (785 Views)

There is a cute little test (20 questions) in the current issue of AARP The Magazine.

I scored 11 and agree that is exactly where we fit in.

Check it out.

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Spendthrift or Skinflint?

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 18 (781 Views)

OK. I'll go take the test, but I'm calling my score now: total skinflint.

I managed to save a thousand dollars one year while living alone, working half time at a minimum wage job and going to school. High school. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 18 (772 Views)

For anyone who doesn't want to hunt thru their AARP magazine collection: It's the February/March 2017 issue, on page 29.

I scored 7, "Savvy Spender" .. very accurate!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 18 (772 Views)

Well the Feb/March AARP magazine has gone missing (thinking DH snagged it for some reason). It is the Bulletin that came in yesterday, and that was what I was reading over lunch. So anyway, I took this test and came up with 'Very Careful With Money': http://365tests.com/money-tests/skinflint-or-spendthrift-free-personality-test/

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 18 (735 Views)

I'll check it later, but since I'll race DW to get a coin on the ground, I think I know what the results will be..........

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 18 (726 Views)

It's fine to kid around about how cheap we might be about certain things. There used to be a regular poster here who was just 50 (at the time), lived in TX, and I believe taught school. He lived in a trailer & just had a hot plate for cooking. I got the impression that his prime objective was to live as frugally as humanly possible, even if he felt a little deprived at times.

I want to get my money's worth, and I don't want to spend more for brand names & features I don't really need. I've never been interested in having things to "keep up with the Joneses". But my prime objective isn't to spend as little as possible to live a very Spartan livestyle.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 18 (726 Views)

gfy! Wish I could say the same :{

Honestly, shop thrifty 99% of the time but then go stupid and have to grit my false teeth the next month!

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 18 (712 Views)

"...lived in a trailer & just had a hot plate for cooking. I got the impression that his prime objective was to live as frugally as humanly possible, even if he felt a little deprived at times....".

I seriously considered doing just than, in my 20's, before purchasing a house. The only thing that stopped me was that I saw how much houses were appreciating. Trailers lost value immediately.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Topics: 1,076
Kudos: 11,837

Message 9 of 18 (704 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

>

I want to get my money's worth, and I don't want to spend more for brand names & features I don't really need. I've never been interested in having things to "keep up with the Joneses". But my prime objective isn't to spend as little as possible to live a very Spartan livestyle.

That mostly sums me up.  Not leaving it all for the kid but responsible for my own life and bills and have been for a very long time!

I am "very careful with my money".

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Topics: 1,076
Kudos: 11,837

Message 10 of 18 (703 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...lived in a trailer & just had a hot plate for cooking. I got the impression that his prime objective was to live as frugally as humanly possible, even if he felt a little deprived at times....".

I seriously considered doing just than, in my 20's, before purchasing a house. The only thing that stopped me was that I saw how much houses were appreciating. Trailers lost value immediately.

Any interest in the "tiny house" movement?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith