Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Spendthrift or Skinflint?

Message 11 of 19 (1,465 Views)

"....Any interest in the "tiny house" movement?...".

Not for myself. I think it's a good idea for a subset of people. We did the next best thing.  We purchased a 50's house, meaning relatively small, in the far burbs of Chicago. The house was less than we could afford at the time, and low taxes.  As our careers advanced, we could have upgraded substantially, but did not. We put a lot of time, and effort, into doing a lot of remodeling ourselves ('sweat equity').
We've stayed in our one-and-only house, paid it off early, which greatly helped in allowing us to early retire along with the low-mortgage payments we had.  We've had a few people ask why we didn't purchase a  'dream house', or at least something newer and larger with lower maintenance.
 We kept quiet and did not ask how they felt about having their really nice homes, and not retiring in their 50's as we did. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 19 (1,458 Views)

Hey RT - Warren Buffett bought his house in the 1950s - and still lives in it.  You are in good company.

Our present house was built in 1961 and we have lived in it since 1974.  We have owned many houses, but only lived in a few.

Smiley Happy

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 13 of 19 (1,446 Views)

"....Hey RT - Warren Buffett bought his house in the 1950s - and still lives in it.  You are in good company....".

I've driven by it, and went over to the place he gets ice cream from. Anyway, just read something this morning how he wants his estate to be 90% invested in low-cost index funds. I think the rest was in T's or bonds. Point is, he stated virtually no fund manager can beat an index fund once all the fees are covered. His estimate was that investors have 'wasted' (his word), over 100 billion by not indexing.

I know, off topic, but still is related to being a 'skinflint'.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 19 (1,413 Views)

First a retraction: earlier I suggested DH had the Feb-Mar AARP magazine somewhere. I was wrong. It came in Saturday's mail. I apologized for having impuned his good name. Smiley Happy

Next, my score. I got a 15 on the AARP test (pages 30-31), which is to say I'm 'firmly frugal'. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 15 of 19 (1,404 Views)

@Epster - Maybe you need to talk to your post office people, because I got that magazine about 2 weeks ago.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Highlighted

Message 16 of 19 (1,400 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - Maybe you need to talk to your post office people, because I got that magazine about 2 weeks ago.

For real; March is nearly over! Perhaps it was sent by mule team. Smiley Happy

AARP might mail in sections, alphabetically, too. If memory serves, your surname initial is far earlier in ye olde alphabet than is mine. If that's correct, then perhaps this suggests they mail in batches? They must mail tens of millions of those magazines. 

The delivery system we have the most trouble with is UPS. One time they delivered something we'd ordered for the fish farm to a horse farm some 200 miles south of here ... uh, guys? Smiley Wink To drag this close to the original topic: You better believe I refused to pay for that! Yuck, yuck. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 19 (1,271 Views)

Absolutely would love tiny house but right now can't afford land (and don't want to move into mobile home park here due to crime rates).

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 19 (1,270 Views)

I only check USPS mail box about once every 3 months (yes, the USPS person complains to the office but I signed up for no "junk mail" so...) so not sure when the AARP Mag comes in but then I get a bunch of newsletters and mags and have binge weekend Smiley Wink

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Info Seeker

Message 19 of 19 (129 Views)

Hi - Can you direct me to this quiz?  Is it on the website?  Thanks!!