Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Info Seeker

Publix cancels Senior Discounts in Pigeon Forge, TN. Any other grocery chains that honor seniors?

Message 1 of 5

Publix is sticking it to seniors and cancelling their very generous 5% discount on Wednesdays. Does anyone know of any other grocery chain discounts?

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Publix cancels Senior Discounts. Any other grocery chains that honor seniors?

Message 2 of 5

From my understanding, this senior citizen discount at Publix has always been IF the store participates.

Same with Kroger, and some others -

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Publix cancels Senior Discounts. Any other grocery chains that honor seniors?

Message 3 of 5

ds22518185 wrote:

Publix is sticking it to seniors and cancelling their very generous 5% discount on Wednesdays. Does anyone know of any other grocery chain discounts?

@ds22518185,

Your post is slightly in error. Publix has never had the 5% discount in EVERY market. For example, no discount in Florida.

However, they do have the discount in certain markets based on their competition. For example, in NC, Publix competes against Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo, both of which have a 5% off "senior" day; thus, Publix has one too.

@GailL1, it isn't based on a store by store basis; but by a competitive market measure.

I assume, @ds22518185, that if they have it in certain markets.... they can also take it away from those markets if things change business-wise.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 5

So publix didn't offer the discount to help seniors, but just because they were forced to by the competition. I always thought Publix was better than that, but I guess they're just like all the rest on making a buck no matter who it affects. We were loyal to them for just that reason... loyalty terribly misplaced, I now see. Hello Kroger and Wal-Mart!

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 5

ds22518185 wrote:

So publix didn't offer the discount to help seniors, but just because they were forced to by the competition. I always thought Publix was better than that, but I guess they're just like all the rest on making a buck no matter who it affects. We were loyal to them for just that reason... loyalty terribly misplaced, I now see. Hello Kroger and Wal-Mart!

It is the same way with Kroger and Walmart is what they are - don't think Walmart gives a senior discount.

Publix is the closest to me but I rarely hit the senior discount day.  They do give some good and diverse BOGOs.  

Of course, it is all about competition - the senior discount and more .  If they don't compete, there may be one less grocery store.