Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Respected Social Butterfly

Lifetime National Park Pass price raised to $80

Message 1 of 6 (237 Views)

Too late for Seniors to Get a $10 Lifetime National Park Pass

rates changed 8/28  but they are still a good deal if you are going to travel 

In just a few days, the price to enjoy America’s great outdoors will be going up — at least for seniors.

Right now, Americans ages 62 and older can score a senior lifetime pass to national parks, monuments and other federal recreational lands for just $10. But on Monday, Aug. 28, the pass price will jump to $80 — the same fee charged for a standard annual pass.

Here are three ways to get a senior pass now before the price soars:

• Online : Older Americans can obtain a $10 senior pass online. Note that you’ll have to shell out $20 to get the pass, which includes the $10 lifetime pass and a $10 document processing fee.
  • Paper : You can also fill out and submit a paper application to the government to get your pass to America’s great outdoors. It costs a total of $20, including the pass and the document processing fee.
  • In-person : Seniors can also purchase a pass in person for $10 from a participating federal recreation site or office. If you get your pass this way, you don’t have to pay the $10 processing fee.

If you order a pass, be patient. The National Park Service is being inundated with requests for such passes

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hey-seniors-10-lifetime-national-205038221.html

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Lifetime National Park Pass price raised to $80

Message 2 of 6 (232 Views)

It was dumb to not buy a Lifetime Pass when the opportunity presented itself.

We went to two National Parks this past year and at each one the fee for the "one time visit" to the park was just a "couple of bucks" less than getting the Lifetime Pass. At one location, it was $7 versus $10. Once you bought the Lifetime Pass, you could use it at that park for entry.

So I splurged!!!!!!

Glad I did.

Message 3 of 6 (227 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

It was dumb to not buy a Lifetime Pass when the opportunity presented itself.

We went to two National Parks this past year and at each one the fee for the "one time visit" to the park was just a "couple of bucks" less than getting the Lifetime Pass. At one location, it was $7 versus $10. Once you bought the Lifetime Pass, you could use it at that park for entry.

So I splurged!!!!!!

Glad I did.

Good job!   I was at one of the National Parks and the young man at the counter tried really hard to ask me tactfully if I was a "senior"  : )   Glad he did.  I have used it several time.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6 (219 Views)

Good posting and info. We purchased ours as soon as I was old enough. At that time, we were going to two NP's every year. We still do at least one a year at this point. Yes, it's still a good deal at $80 if you expect to visit NP's at least twice.

I believe the Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone (as an example), now cost $50 a car for entrance fee.  

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 6 (214 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

Good job!   I was at one of the National Parks and the young man at the counter tried really hard to ask me tactfully if I was a "senior"  : )   Glad he did.  I have used it several time.  

Two grocery stores that I frequent have senior days on different days so I end up going to both some weeks. You get a 5% discount on your total purchase.

Anyway, one has no problem asking if you are a senior.... while the other must've trained their staff to use any other synonym they can think of for the word "senior".

So, at that store, one week I'll get "Are you eligible for the "experienced" customer discount?"

Another week, I'll get "Are you eligible for "seasoned" customer discount?"

and so on and so forth.......

Message 6 of 6 (122 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

Two grocery stores that I frequent have senior days on different days so I end up going to both some weeks. You get a 5% discount on your total purchase.

Anyway, one has no problem asking if you are a senior.... while the other must've trained their staff to use any other synonym they can think of for the word "senior".

So, at that store, one week I'll get "Are you eligible for the "experienced" customer discount?"

Another week, I'll get "Are you eligible for "seasoned" customer discount?"

and so on and so forth.......

Experienced.  I like it.  Ha!