How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Regular Social Butterfly

Re: How do you make the most of your money?

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 42 (1,226 Views)

merp
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 42 (1,229 Views)
pster wrote:

Right on. Exactly. Yes. Un-huh; word.

Shoot, sometimes asking for help is the fastest way to gain knowledge. Didn't Einstein say that he didn't know everything, but he did know where to find the answers? 

I remember going out with someone years ago, who was self-confident. One day I mentioned having to fix something, and he said he wasn't handy .. but knew all the best people to get work done right! But I knew people who aren't self-confident, and if you make a suggestion (like a shorter way to go), they take great offense that you might be implying they don't know what they're doing. They'd rather do things THEIR way & save face, than learn a better way.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 42 (1,330 Views)

merp
Regular Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 42 (1,334 Views)

merp

Message 5 of 42 (1,335 Views)

@epster - I made the point to a friend yesterday, that when people are secure with themselves, they don't fear being open with other people. For example, if someone is smart & self-confident about it, they aren't afraid to ask for help with something, because they know it just means they don't know that one thing .. not that they're dumb. Yet someone lacking self-confidence about their intelligence, may be less likely to ask for help (or accept it graciously), because they think the implication is that they're stupid & can't figure it out for themselves.

So when people are self-confident & trust a partner, they're open with each other, and work well as a team. Society often misjudges relationships, only seeing things from the outside. A co-dependent & secretive relationship may look fine, but it's not a mature way to operate, and if they wind up separate it's very hard for them to become whole people individually.

Regular Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 42 (1,338 Views)

merp

Message 7 of 42 (1,341 Views)

@epster - I know a lot of men from work (power plant), who treated their wives like children, and for all I know, the women might have liked that system. Very gender-based responsibilities, and everything else on a need-to-know basis. But that's how women become widows, and know nothing about family finances, or how to make important decisions, because they've had no education or practice. On the other side, that allows some women to spend as much as they want because "no one told them they had a budget" .. a slightly passive-aggressive response; waiting for their husband to say something or stop them. Eeeew!

Regular Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 42 (1,349 Views)

merp

Message 9 of 42 (1,350 Views)

@epster - I always thought it was ridiculous, that dating experts tell people not to talk about money, religion or politics, early on, because they're controversial. Duh .. that's the point, if you're looking for a serious relationship; not that topics are "controversial", but that attitudes about them are part of the fiber of our being. Isn't that important in selected a mate?!

Look at the battles here in Online Community; would I want to date someone, if I knew their attitudes on those 3 basic things were the exact opposite of mine? NO!!

Regular Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 42 (1,355 Views)

merp