readers and tablets

Caring for loved ones?

Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Community
Money

Community Manager
AARPLynne

How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages?

My husband and I moved into a home late last fall that relies on propane for heating (furnace and hot water). It had been about 10 years since we lived in a home with a propane furnace, so when we moved in I got in touch with our propane supplier to help me understand how much to budget for our anticipated usage. We've kept to a schedule of ordering monthly and have tried to keep the thermostats conservatively set. Of course at the time we opened the account, I never figured we'd be facing 100% price increases in just a few months. In other parts of the country, however, people also are facing fuel shortages...and price gouging. There are too many stories of folks who have no choice but to turn down the thermostat to 48 and 50 degrees! Even worse, some are running out! How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages?

Community Manager
AARPLynne

How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages?

My husband and I moved into a home late last fall that relies on propane for heating (furnace and hot water). It had been about 10 years since we lived in a home with a propane furnace, so when we moved in I got in touch with our propane supplier to help me understand how much to budget for our anticipated usage. We've kept to a schedule of ordering monthly and have tried to keep the thermostats conservatively set. Of course at the time we opened the account, I never figured we'd be facing 100% price increases in just a few months. In other parts of the country, however, people also are facing fuel shortages...and price gouging. There are too many stories of folks who have no choice but to turn down the thermostat to 48 and 50 degrees! Even worse, some are running out! How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages?

Info Seeker
suziathome

Re: How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages?

In Response to How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages?:

We have a propane furnace, hot-water heater, and stove/oven and live in the Central Midwest out in the country. We have a programmable thermostat for the furnace. First thing we did was drop all the temperature levels 2 degrees (63 and 67) and wear more clothes. Fortunately, we prepay in August for the entire winter season, so we aren't experiencing the severe price hike yet. We'll see what happens in August when we have to renew. The other option we have for a just-in-case is we also have an electric hot-water heater, which we're considering switching to to preserve our contract amount as long as possible. I've quit using the propane stove/oven and am using my microwave and toaster oven whenever possible. We also are using our two wood-burning fireplaces, so the furnace doesn't go on as often.
Info Seeker
kk4795

In Response to Re: How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages?:
In Response to How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages? : We have a propane furnace, hot-water heater, and stove/oven and live in the Central Midwest out in the country. We have a programmable thermostat for the furnace. First thing we did was drop all the temperature levels 2 degrees (63 and 67) and wear more clothes. Fortunately, we prepay in August for the entire winter season, so we aren't experiencing the severe price hike yet. We'll see what happens in August when we have to renew. The other option we have for a just-in-case is we also have an electric hot-water heater, which we're considering switching to to preserve our contract amount as long as possible. I've quit using the propane stove/oven and am using my microwave and toaster oven whenever possible. We also are using our two wood-burning fireplaces, so the furnace doesn't go on as often.
Posted by suziathome

Info Seeker
kk4795

In Response to Re: How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages?:
In Response to How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages? : We have a propane furnace, hot-water heater, and stove/oven and live in the Central Midwest out in the country. We have a programmable thermostat for the furnace. First thing we did was drop all the temperature levels 2 degrees (63 and 67) and wear more clothes. Fortunately, we prepay in August for the entire winter season, so we aren't experiencing the severe price hike yet. We'll see what happens in August when we have to renew. The other option we have for a just-in-case is we also have an electric hot-water heater, which we're considering switching to to preserve our contract amount as long as possible. I've quit using the propane stove/oven and am using my microwave and toaster oven whenever possible. We also are using our two wood-burning fireplaces, so the furnace doesn't go on as often.
Posted by suziathome

Info Seeker
bobcox

I think we should start by sending Email requests to Senator Elizabeth Warren asking her to investigate the possibility of corporations gaming the propane market similar to what Enron did to the exectricity market.  She is the best consumer advocate in the Senate.
Community Manager
AARPLynne

bobcox, what's particularly puzzling to me is price gouging. The guy that delivered my propane yesterday told me about another customer within my region (same county 30 miles away) who paid a price nearly two and a half times what his company offers. Needless to say the customer changed providers. I'm talking $6 v. $2.65.
Community Manager
AARPLynne

suziathome, I like the idea of prepaying or getting locked in at the summer prices. Will have to try that next year. The programmable thermostats help I'm sure. We have two older thermostats and it's difficult to accurately set them so I'm probably inadvertently over using fuel. In Response to Re: How are you coping with rising propane prices and dangerous shortages?:
Posted by suziathome

Conversationalist
blk1grn5wht9

This commetary brought to you by courtesy of Big Gas & Oil Industry to frighten the public into believing 'fracking' will produce cheaper propane gas for home heating, while most so recoverd gas will be shipped to higher profit oversea markets.    Sayonara baby  -- 
Info Seeker
Whitemtn1

so far I have to give North Central Coop credit for helping me the best information they can it is not the office girls fault PLEASE remember that and I am only a customer no employee  but life is not easy for her either Thank You Phyllis  Kay Borg Monterey Indiana