AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Emergency expenses/funds

Message 21 of 22 (315 Views)

I keep a stash of cash for natural disaster type events, too, but I keep it in a safe at the house.  If power goes out, phone lines down, etc., having the cash in the bank won't do you any good.  It's a good idea to keep both paper ($1, $5, $10, $20, and maybe a few 100s) and coin for those events.  Believe it or not, during one such event here in California, stores that did open were using battery powered calculators to figure out change.  The clerks didn't know how to count out change without knowing the total amount to give back.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Emergency expenses/funds

Message 22 of 22 (296 Views)

roachme wrote:

I keep a stash of cash for natural disaster type events, too, but I keep it in a safe at the house.  If power goes out, phone lines down, etc., having the cash in the bank won't do you any good.  It's a good idea to keep both paper ($1, $5, $10, $20, and maybe a few 100s) and coin for those events.  Believe it or not, during one such event here in California, stores that did open were using battery powered calculators to figure out change.  The clerks didn't know how to count out change without knowing the total amount to give back.

Good points!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith