Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

DON'T LET AARP TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU!!!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

DON'T LET AARP TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU!!!!!

Throughout the web site here, I see AARP advertising a membership discount of $4.00 if you agree to AUTOMATIC RENEWAL. I don't ever agree to AUTOMATIC RENEWAL for any subscription type service, be it a membership to an organization, a magazine, or a club.

For the last five years, I have had an AARP membership for a total of $31 with no AUTOMATIC RENEWAL required.

Imagine my surprise when I received a renewal notice that wanted $63 for the next five years.....a 100% increase. On top of that they wanted to place me in an AUTOMATIC RENEWAL program.

As I have said before, when it comes to subscriptions, and you aren't satisfied with the renewal terms, call the entity....be it XM radio, a magazine, or even, AARP.

I called and tried to negotiate the same terms I had the last five years. I figured that wasn't going to be offered again and I was right....however.......I did negotiate a renewal of $45 for five years without an AUTOMATIC RENEWAL requirement. That is a 25% discount versus the best promotion that is presently being advertised.

Always negotiate your subscriptions....never agree to AUTOMATIC RENEWALS.....YOU'LL SAVE $$$$$.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@nctarheel and those auto renewals sometimes, not all the time are hard to cancel.  👵

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you, @SpringIsHereSoHappy,

I kept suggesting to NEVER agree to AUTOMATIC RENEWALS and never included in my post WHY to NEVER agree.

Not only can they be hard to cancel but they renew you at the highest rate in force at the time of the renewal.

Trusted Social Butterfly

You are welcome @nctarheel !!!👍

Lol, the company that bought the property where I RENT has an "auto" pay on their online app. Anyone who does that is crazy. What happens IF property is SOLD AGAIN and the PREVIOUS owner(s) has your rent. Nope, I pay my RENT "early" the month BEFORE it is due AS SOON as my Retirement Social Security hits my Bank Account. About 2 weeks early is all I am going to do. Hate "late" charges and as I AGE the Senior Moments have arrived...  🙄

The ONLY "auto" renewal I do is for AAA out of my Checking Account. I do not want to FORGET to pay them and end up paying some joker to tow my car to my mechanic. Way MORE than my YEARLY AAA cost.

I have their MOST EXPENSIVE plan [maximum towing] as I do not have family here in Virginia and NO ONE but my Mechanic touches my car (2006 Hyundai Elantra). So far have NOT had to have her TOWED to him, but you NEVER know.

As far as AARP. No longer a Member as I found out AFTER I left in 2021 that folks can POST here as a Non-Member. My OLD account is called Anonymous to answer your question on that subject.

Anyway, an EXCELLENT topic...  👵

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy,

AARP's business practices leave something to be desired.

I negotiated $45 for five years of membership and the idiot customer service person with whom I negotiated applied my $45 to the next THREE years membership, not FIVE.

We were clear as to what time period my $45 was to cover and they confirmed the time period back to me.

I am glad I kept identifying information regarding with whom I spoke and other points of the conversation. I will be calling them tomorrow.

UPDATE TO AARP BUSINESS PRACTICES:

After agreement on the subscription rate and period ($45 for FIVE years), I noted that the inept AARP Associate applied my $45 to a THREE year period.

I called again, explained the situation to yet another AARP associate and today I received my new cards.....EXPIRATION DATES 3 YEARS FROM NOW.....STILL WRONG!!!!!

UPDATE TO AARP BUSINESS PRACTICES #2

So now I have called a third time.

According to ASSOCIATE #3, I should receive my correct membership cards by May 2nd.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@nctarheel , Good Luck!!!  👵

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP