Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Conversationalist

Re: Best cell phone for senior in assited living

Message 11 of 26 (2,601 Views)

Me, too.  I am still able to get out and about. I really needed it more than a landline, which I couldn't afford.  The economy is killing me, and I may have to go to one of THOSE places, which is still unaffordable. My state is so Conservative.  i think they want to purge healthy people out.

Co-pays eat my lunch, I go to Food Pantries.  Thank God, you have get out and hunt, like I do.

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 26 (2,598 Views)

The best cell phone that I've found for senior citizens was the Jitterbug. But they keep adding costs and features that seniors don't want or need.

So, the next best is Consumer Celluar. You do pay up front a little for the phone, but it has a button on the back that you can set to any number. So, if they press it, it can go to you, the office, 911, or anyone you choose. It is very easy to use with large numbers and easy to read screen. The owner has 24/7 free access to Cellular One and an English speaking person from the USA answers. Monthly charge is low. You can also bring your own phone to their service. There are discounts for AARP members. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 13 of 26 (2,552 Views)
I'm very mad and upset. Because I have been with Verizon wireless phone service three year . I ask my provider about do they work with she told me no and I ask why she use to work for arrp customers.and she tell me that for older people. And she said you have to be 60 old year to have arrp cards and I tell her you don't have to be 60 year old to have arrp cards and I told her that AT&T accept arrp cards and I said that that should work with arrp customers . I my phone is replacement is free because .I lost my 4g phone two month ago with anyone's go over there minutes is over charges and my contact is over .but it's a catch to it .what I mean is that 350 fee to stop using their sevice .yes I'm still upset but not angry. I have trac fone before. I like paying $20 every months. I really do like my IPhone 5 and I really do wish Verizion accept all arrp cards members. I know now they don't accept arrp cards members. From Anne Kimble
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 14 of 26 (6,551 Views)

I had read that a person can get a free cell phone subsidized by the govenment.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/story/2012-06-01/low-income-lifeline-plan/5...

This is a USA Today article. Please read this article carefully as there were a few states which did not provide this. As we age and have limited income or no income coming, this may be a life saving thing to look into. Hope this helps in case of your father in law. Wish you the best.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 26 (7,061 Views)
My mom has dementia, needs one to dial her sis 1x month and the sitter at our home if we are gone, for backup emergency. We use the AARP discount thru Consumer too, buttons are big, closes like clam, which she likes. The phone was 1x charge $79 and then $23 per month. I did a lot of research, this deal is safest, for no data required.
Info Seeker

Message 16 of 26 (7,743 Views)
Be cautious rates are quadrupling, due to tribal issues vs govt land in our area. And if you don't like freebie phone their limited choices can be high.
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 26 (7,719 Views)
Worst information I've ever seen! Where in the world can I find a cell phone that has big buttons and easy to use. OMG! Apparently there is a market for this! Maybe I should talk to the Shark Tank and begin a business at 80 yrs. old!
Info Seeker

Message 18 of 26 (7,710 Views)
How do you get a free phone from the government? Is there a guideline you have to meet??? Curious
Info Seeker

Message 19 of 26 (7,652 Views)
Never heard of this. What is b/c and where can we learn about 'free phone from government'? Thanks for any info you can give
Info Seeker

Message 20 of 26 (7,591 Views)