Penalties Loom for ACA Enrollees Who Don’t Switch to Medicare by Sept. 30. Read More

Info Seeker

Best cell phone for senior in assited living

Message 1 of 26 (6,554 Views)

My father in law who is 85 was placed in an "enhanced living home". I am appalled as it was a naked room in which you had to furnish, He has no phone and my husband and I would like to get him a cell phone. Jitterbug has the larger numbers but the plans have exorbatant overage fees. We are on limited income ourselves so would like to find the best pay as you go type for just phone calls no data needed. Any suggestions?  Thank you!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Best cell phone for senior in assited living

Message 2 of 26 (6,540 Views)

We use TracFone. You can purchase the phone at Walmart (and they have several models, including one with big buttons) and easily activate it. The phone will cost $15-$20, and you can purchase 400 minutes, that carry over, for $99.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 26 (5,845 Views)

There is no "best" phone for assisted living.  There are people in assisted living who are not even capable of using a phone, those who have no problem at all using one, and the majority who are somewhere in between.  It totally depends on the person's level of cognition, eyesight, hearing, manual dexterity, and myriad other factors.  There are 100-year olds who have no problem using the latest smart phone, and technophobes in their 50s who need all the help they can get.  Fortunately, there are endless options out there, but to say there is a "best" phone for assisted living is flat-out wrong.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 26 (5,853 Views)

I use Consumer Cellullar and have for about 5 years. I pay $60.00 a month for 2 lines and 750 minutes plus text and data. Extra lines are $10.00 a month, extra minutes are added in tiers for $10-$15 a month. I have had good coverage in all areas, with coverage for the entire country with few exceptions. They have a phone with big buttons for $50.00 on the website. You can get a discount for AARP members if you sign up with the membership. I'm happy with my phone, and my son is too with his iPhone. You might check it out.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 26 (5,764 Views)

I have Verizon and can add "another phone" on my shared plan for $9.99 a month plus taxes. That is what I have for my mother who lives in an "independent village".

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 26 (6,091 Views)
There are free phones and affordable payments locally, for those who are SS or some other Gov. assisted programs. You just need to stop, b/c it is a good thing. I have trouble keeping losing it, my memory is lapsing the older I get. I don't have Alzheimers. Just getting older.
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 26 (6,091 Views)

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 26 (6,090 Views)

I have a better one for you, get a free phone from the government like I do.  Payment is almost 6 dollars a month. It is really a deal, I canceled my land line, another thing I couldn't afford. 

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 26 (6,081 Views)
I can't afford that. That isn't right. I got a free phone b/c I am on SS and Medicare. I am not getting enough to buy groceries. I need to eat more than just to talk.
I have an iPhone for almost $6.00 a month. I can't believe and this month I was match a dollar for a every dollar. I have two months free!
Conversationalist

Message 10 of 26 (6,079 Views)
You must have good credit, I don't. I didn't know Verizon did that but how much was your cell phone. I got mine free+paying about 6.00 a month. This month, they matched me a dollar for every dollar I paid, now I have two months free! Check those people out.