Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Info Seeker

Re: Best cell phone for senior in assited living

Message 21 of 26 (7,464 Views)

I see people talking about getting a free phone and $6/month "from the government".  What Web site/email address/phone number should I point my aunt to?  She's helping my mother who is in assisted living.  Thanks!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 26 (7,457 Views)
Best option a Google search for your state, search term is free cell phone for elderly. I think it was started as an offering by Reagan administration.

Cells are elderly friendly some at least , amount of minutes of calling varies usually up to 400 per month.

I almost want to call it lifeline cell but, can't recall if that the name or service type. Set one up for my uncle 10 years back and I got the same number from both google and dept of elderly affairs in state he was living in.

That's the best I can recall about it, sorry now I'm aging and forgetting. Just always double check your sources why I did search and welfare or elderly affairs.

Frozen
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 26 (7,447 Views)

Frozenoem wrote:
Best option a Google search for your state, search term is free cell phone for elderly. I think it was started as an offering by Reagan administration.

Cells are elderly friendly some at least , amount of minutes of calling varies usually up to 400 per month.

I almost want to call it lifeline cell but, can't recall if that the name or service type. Set one up for my uncle 10 years back and I got the same number from both google and dept of elderly affairs in state he was living in.

That's the best I can recall about it, sorry now I'm aging and forgetting. Just always double check your sources why I did search and welfare or elderly affairs.

Frozen

It might be good to note here that the "free" program is based on income and sometimes assets depending upon state rules and the receiving of other government help benefits like Medicaid, energy, housing and food subsidies which are also based on income/asset eligibility.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 24 of 26 (3,228 Views)

Guys and Girls,

I just came cacross my daily internet surfing:

http://www.cnet.com/news/republic-wireless-gets-more-phones-for-its-cheap-wi-fi-mobile-service/

Interesting....  Hope this helps.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 25 of 26 (2,569 Views)

I like the Consumer Cellular 101 flip phone ($ 35.00) and the Doro PhoneEasy 626 ($ 50.00).  The talk plans start at $ 9.50/month with an AARP member discount. Plus, you can change your talk and data plans, any time during a billing cycle, to use the best rate, based on your useage. Their customer service is outstanding. I have never experienced a drop call.

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 26 (453 Views)
Here u go hun! This is the real deal right here! Smiley Wink https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enrollment/Safelink/en/NewPublic/index.html