Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Info Seeker

Re: Ancestry.com discount -- AARP "discount" not very real when contacting Ancestry.com

Message 21 of 36 (3,431 Views)

I received an e-mail from Ancestry today letting me know that on August 21 2016 my subscription will be renewed at $299.  Whoa !  Not what I paid with the AARP discount in 2015.

Last year I read on the AARP site or newsletter that being a senior you are entitled to a discount. When I received my renewal email from Ancestry I called about the AARP Discount.  After talking with an agent regarding the AARP discount my subscription was reduced substantially.  I was told it is a recurring subscription amount every year after.  

Today after seeing the increase over what I paid last year, I phoned Ancestry.  The agent told me it was just for one year as an introductory offer.  I disagreed. I told her I was assured that this would be my subscription price since I am over 65 until I decided to cancel my membership.

I did my best to let her know that retired people with ample time to persue their ancestry hobby are the suscribers who make up the majority of the people searching for ancestors and don't have much income after retirement to afford this amount of money, especially since we the subscribers are the ones adding information that keeps people coming to Ancestry. (Of course I understand that there are costs in running a business)

This is especially irritating because all the information we add; Documents, Photos, Maps, Wills, Probate, Family Bibles, Vital Records we add to our family trees, creates documentation that Ancestry "re-sells" to us the subscribers.  I even volunteer to do indexing for Ancestry.com.

At the end of the call to Ancestry the agent offered me a 6 month membership for $99 that expires on January 21, 2017... and also wanted my permission to auto-renew at $149 for 6 months on that date.  So it is the same price... 6 months at $99 + the next 6 months is $149 = totaling $248.  

I told her I would accept the 6 months for $99 but NOT to auto re-new because I want to wait and see if there is a discount offered at that time.  She also advised me that I need to "renew" the day before the expiration date so my account would not be cancelled (to see if there are any discounts offered at that time) in January 2017, to prevent the auto-renewal of $149 for another 6 months. So, the price does not really change, they are just shuffeling the walnut shells around... we didn't make it to retirement age being this gullible and dumb to be fooled by this leaf giant. 

Info Seeker

Re: Ancestry.com discount

Message 22 of 36 (3,432 Views)

If you think it is a scam, then you should report your thoughts to the Federal Trade Commission.

They handle scams, identity theft, stolen SS#'s etc.

Info Seeker

Re: Ancestry.com discount -- AARP "discount" not very real when contacting Ancestry.com

Message 23 of 36 (3,429 Views)
Exactly right...
Does anyone know if your can upload a Gedcom to FamilySearch.org. The idea being to get away from Ancestry and save your tree with everything you have added.
Info Seeker

Message 24 of 36 (3,415 Views)

Respectfully, this response is getting off topic. 

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 36 (2,986 Views)

I think they should have discounts/deals for continued memberships.  Those of us who actually support Ancestry!!

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 36 (2,933 Views)
I found out there are lots of other sites without such fees. And they use same information. ancestry is just a bit too big now. FamilySearch.org is also based in Utah, linked to the Mormon data base, free.
And there is a lot of information on Ancestry that maybe error, so you have to do your research elsewhere, and apparently can be added to, and/or hacked by others.
Info Seeker

Message 27 of 36 (2,431 Views)

Not to get too far off topic but Family Search knowingly uploads incorrect info. I am not a member of LDS but I was doing indexing and several of my batches of work were corrected by "arbitrators" who were clearly incorrect in their reading of the files. I brought it to the attention of the person to contact and she said unfortunately there is no procedure for challenging their corrections. So I said you then knowingly will upload this info I just proved was false and she said yes.  I stopped indexing. There are mistakes in Ancestry but a ton more info seriously I have had memberships everywhere and if you are really serious about research it is the prime membership to have. Expensive no doubt but loaded with info.   I also ran into the renewal fo the AARP Discount deal being a one time thing. I find nothing in AARP I can't get elsewhere only joined for UnitedHealthCare plan that works perfect for me as opposed ot others

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 28 of 36 (2,107 Views)

Discount or not, the charge for a year on Ancestry.com is crazy. Sure it is easier to do it at home and on their site, but there have to be way cheaper sites to get the information. They get their information somewhere and it is probally from public sites and paid nothing or very little for the info. I understand they had to create a database and be able to handle a large amount of people accessing that site, but like all that are complaining about the price, it is crazy. I figure I am in my 60's and if I dont know them by now through my family and relatives cant be that big a deal not to know. As for the discount i have complained many times how the attidude of those at AARP have changed over the years. I have been a member for almost 15 years now. I have attended one gathering put on by AARP, and the cookies and drinks were nice, but everyone there to take to us were dressed in very expensive clothing and i thought to myself, they cant be on the same level as all these seniors here in that clothing. Anyway that is another topic.

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 36 (1,952 Views)
Same way with ordering flowers. Requesting the AARP discount takes me to another web page where the prices are HIGHER than the regular web site and then the so-called discount is taken off the higher price -- so there is no discount at all.

Same at Dunkin' Donuts. I had been getting free donuts for years by buying a small or medium coffee, using the web address on my receipt to rate the donut shop and then bringing the code number to the counter for my free donut. Then I noticed the AARP "discount" but to get a free donut with the AARP discount required showing my AARP card before ordering and paying for a large or extra large coffee.
Info Seeker

Message 30 of 36 (1,565 Views)

You have to use the link from AARP when you register for Ancestry in order to get the 30% discount.  I have used it.