Penalties Loom for ACA Enrollees Who Don’t Switch to Medicare by Sept. 30. Read More

Info Seeker

Ancestry.com discount

Message 1 of 34 (12,225 Views)

I currently have the monthly US ancestry.com subscription so I called ancestry.com to get my 30% discount.  What I found out is that the discount does not apply to the US subscription.  You must have the worldwide subcription.  Inorder to get "discount" my monthly cost would go from $19.95 to $24.45.  Sorry but I don't call that a discount but just another way to get more money from people.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Ancestry.com discount

Message 2 of 34 (12,167 Views)

bb43123998 wrote:

I currently have the monthly US ancestry.com subscription so I called ancestry.com to get my 30% discount.  What I found out is that the discount does not apply to the US subscription.  You must have the worldwide subcription.  Inorder to get "discount" my monthly cost would go from $19.95 to $24.45.  Sorry but I don't call that a discount but just another way to get more money from people.

Is this an AARP discount? If it is, try searching for discounts, not connected with AARP. I have found that AARP discounts are regularly inferior to discounts from other sources. My wife recently got a "special" from Ancestry for $99.00 for six months or $16.50 a month. No AARP involvement.

If you don't find discounts from other sources, call Ancestry direct and ask if there are any specials going on.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 34 (12,164 Views)

"....I have found that AARP discounts are regularly inferior to discounts from other sources....".\

Yes. I've found that too.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 34 (12,075 Views)
That is still high, $200.00 a year. Why can't they come up with a deal for seniors?
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 34 (12,248 Views)
You're right that is not a discount to me. What if you don't want the US subscription. I'll keep looking for a better deal.
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 34 (12,211 Views)

I just talked to Ancestry AND the 30% discount is only good for 1 year!!! Once the year is up the discount is no longer  available!!  That's a real bummer in my opinion.  I'm still a senior with AARP membership --- shouldn't  the deal last as long as my AARP dyes are paid?  Ancestry makes enough money that the senior discount should be standard!! 

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 34 (9,872 Views)
I also am bummed about ancestry. I just called to renew my membership and the best they can do is $249.99/yr. That's highway robbery.
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 34 (9,804 Views)

This is so true ... AARP Discounts aren't worth a thing!  All you see when you first get an email from them is to "RESUBSCRIBE."  I don't believe I'll be resubscribing this time.  I've been a member for over 20 years now, and AARP is just downright greedy now!

Info Seeker

Re: Ancestry.com discount -- AARP "discount" not very real when contacting Ancestry.com

Message 9 of 34 (9,701 Views)

I called Ancestry.com direct -- same as suggestion provided -- and the person was unhelpful and dying to get off the phone if I was not interested in signing up a full price. AARP says it is a 30% discount but to Ancestry.com it has many conditions and applies only to the high-priced plans that most of us do not need.

In my experience, Ancestry.com does not treat the AARP "discount" as anything but a come-on. They use it to get us on the phone and pitch for higher priced plans. This does not provide much value in relation to an AARP card.

At a minimum, AARP should clarify and state any conditions of this "discount" that apply. We are a natural constituency for a company like Ancestry.com. I don't have any sense that Ancestry.com respects anyone calling who states he or she has an AARP card.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 34 (9,626 Views)
That would be nice!
But for now the 30% off my world subscription certainly helps.