Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Info Seeker

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 21 of 656 (3,697 Views)

Forget about using commercial banks.  If you haven't already, open accounts at a reputable  credit union.  CUs offer great rates and lower fees.  My CU does not charge ATM usage fees when I use their machines or any ATM machines on their broad network of partner CUs and banks.  Loan rates and personal service are much better at my CUs also.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 22 of 656 (3,571 Views)

If you will be traveling overseas, first check out your credit cards for the amount of "foreign transaction fees"; I have one card that doesn't have ANY of these fees, so that's the only one I use overseas.

Conversationalist

Message 23 of 656 (3,885 Views)

If the ATM machine asks you to enter your pin number again don't do it, and it means thieves installed a reader to steal your information so they can steal all the money in your account.  You should use an ATM machine located inside the store, and try to avoid the ones outside.   It is harder for thieves to place scanner in it, and he or she can be seen doing it. 

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 656 (3,846 Views)

Set up an IRA or Roth IRA. Deposit the maximum allowed as soon as possible in every year. If you haven't started one yet, look into "catch-up" contributions.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 25 of 656 (4,133 Views)

Take a lot of time planning for your retirement.  Plan both for your financial needs and what types of things you want to do in retirement.

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 656 (4,322 Views)

Unless it's a true emergency, don't spend money (especially money you don't have!) on things you don't need. This means using a credit card to get rewards, but paying it off every month so as not to pay interest; buying new (or preferable used!) cars, appliances, etc. only when you truly need to replace the old and not every time a new model comes out; sticking with basic TV/cable and cellphone plans instead of paying for features you never use; buying groceries and cooking instead of eating out; buying generics instead of name brands; etc. and so on. It's amazing how much you can save by simply subverting the dominant consumerist paradigm!

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 27 of 656 (4,277 Views)

Hang on to your cars.  Buying all of the time wastes money.  My cars are 12 and 8 years old.  Have not had payments for a long time.

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 656 (4,222 Views)
You don't have to give up your car to use public transit, drive to the bus/train stop, save gas and bring work/reading with you. When you get to your destination, you won't be paying or worrying about parking! Less likely to get into a fender bender or have to deal with bad traffic. You get exercise walking near the stops.
Conversationalist

Message 29 of 656 (4,236 Views)

F A

Info Seeker +

Message 30 of 656 (4,115 Views)

Buy items at estate sales.  You can often find nice things for less than what you would pay for new.

God and Country, Richard.