Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

I never spend change,  I save all coins and it really adds up fast. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Try to save every penny not used---It will add up Quickly !

0 Kudos

Never, and I mean never, go grocery shopping when you are hungry

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

automatically deduct a little portion of your paycheck each week to go into savings.  It will add up quickly and you won't even notice it's gone since it comes out before you get paid. 

Keep your hands off that savings. If you can leave it alone you'll be amazed how fast it'll grow.
Contributor

Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My ATM Smart Savings Tip = Go out for lunch not dinner - the menu portions are healthier (smaller) and less expensive.  Or if you get take out, our favorite trick right now is to get the chinese-dinner-for-4 (4 entrees with rice and 8 appetizers) on sale as take-out from our local mega-grocery store.  That purchase becomes 4-5 meals for the two of us at home, once I make extra rice for the meals after the first two.  Its a great savings and we have good vareity in choosing four different entrees.

Contributor

Always find ways to put a little more into my 401(k), bank savings, and other savings/retirement plans, with every pay check.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Go out for lunch not dinner - the menu portions are healthier (smaller) and less expensive.  Or if you get take out, our favorite trick right now is to get the chinese-dinner-for-4 (4 entrees with rice and 8

appetizers) on sale as take-out from our local mega-grocery store.  That purchase becomes 4-5 meals for the two of us at home, once I make extra rice for the meals after the first two.  Its a great savings and we have good vareity in choosing four different entrees.

0 Kudos
Contributor

At the end of the day, I empty my change into a container.  Last time I cashed it in on my way to vacation, I had enough to pay for parking at the airport for 8 days.  I also have a little taken out from each pay and put directly into a savings account which I don't have a ATM card.

0 Kudos
Contributor

If possible, have your savings direct deposited. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Make sure you deposit some money into a savings account every paycheck and try your best not to touch it.  Don't focus on that account much, out of sight out of mind.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

If you are a veteran, shop at a commissary for savings better than Walmart pricing.

0 Kudos

I agree start out saving small and your dollars do increase fast I do it weekly....

0 Kudos

I agree

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Don't use ATM, instead get cash back at grocery store. NO fees. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

The bank that I use has a "Way to Save" plan.  Since I'm still working I have allocated so much a month to go into that plan.  It has been a great way for me to save! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Saving through your workplace is the easiest way to save.  It is taken out of your paycheck before you ever see it so you don't miss it. Also, if they do any matching, the minimum you should save is the maximum they will match. It is the fastest and highest return you will get on your savings.  Many employers will match 25-50% of your savings which gives you the highest returns you can get.  The earlier you start the faster and higher the money will grow.  By starting with just a few dollars each pay period, your money will compound and grow for many years.  By the time of retirement, you will be surprised at how much you can have in your retirement account.

0 Kudos

What a great issue!  I think learning about spending, saving, investments, etc. should be taught early.  It takes some of us awhle to truly understand and appreciate the value of being "smart" with your money.

0 Kudos

I shop at Aldi, much lower prices on all food staples as well as good quality food.  I also stock up on chicken, beef, pork, fish when they are on sale.  I rarely pay full price for anything, always shop during sales and I don't buy something just to buy it, has to be a need for it.  I was able to retire early at 55 and can easily stay within my budget allowance.

0 Kudos
Contributor

One of the best decisoins I 've made is to sign up for Suze Orman's "Save yourself" ideas and open a savings account. It is incredible how quickly 50 dollars a month can add upake it out of the paycheck before it hits the checking account, and put it into savings, it will never be missed!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Set up separate savings accounts for items that are long term such as vacation, car insurance, new windows, etc. and then pay each of them each month just like it is a bill. The money will then be there when you are ready. Be sure to divide the time before something happens by the number of months so you can save exactly what you will need. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Set up separate savings accounts for items that are long term such as vacation, car insurance, new windows, etc. and then pay each of them each month just like it is a bill. The money will then be there when you are ready. Be sure to divide the time before something happens by the number of months so you can save exactly what you will need. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Many super markets have a "damaged goods" section often featuring items with little damage. And no damage at all, perhaps just things they want to sell out. Befroe I start my shopping I always check that section of the store. And find something I can use a good part of the time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use the AARP discounts as well as all the senior discounts that are offered. Everything from groceries on senior discount day, movies and restaurants like Carrabas and Outback 15% AARP discount, airlines and hotels. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Try using cash instead of debit cards.  It hurts a little more to use physical money.

0 Kudos
Contributor

All states have some "529 Plan" that allows grandparents to save money for their grandchildren's college education. When setting one up the grandparent, not the parent, should be the holder of the account for the benefit of the grandchild. In some cases the value of the 529 Plan would be included in "means testing" if the parent is the named holder.
0 Kudos

I always ask myself these questions before I purchase  

1. Do I want it...well of course!

2. Do I need it...well not really!

So I dont buy it!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Be consistent, put away the same amount each week or month, without fail.

0 Kudos
Contributor

This has probably been said, but throw all your change in a jar at the end of the day.  By the end of the year, you'll have a nice little nest egg to either use or keep saving upon.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP