Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

I use coupons for shopping and I started to pay myself first before I would pay my bills.  I made sure  what I would pay myself would still leave me with enough money to pay my bills.  I gave up going out to buy coffee at starbucks and lessen the amount of times I'd eat out.  I would also make sure my car was operating well.  I would utilize the internet to see who had the best price on gas before filling up.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Collect all of the small change in your pockets at the end of eacd and deposit it into savings at the end of each month.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Combine your errands into one trip to save on gasoline. Partner with a friend or neighbor to carpool to save even more! Drives my husband crazy, but it works!

0 Kudos

My fiancee and I have been couponing for a few years now. It takes a little preparation before you go, but when you can get $150 worth of groceries for $30or $40 it is well worth it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Clipping coupons

0 Kudos
Contributor

When I was young I learned from my parents to save for things that I wanted before purchasing them and not use credit. I only use my credit cards for things that I am able to pay off at the end of each month and then I never have any credit card debt and never have to pay interest. It saves more than you think.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Make an agreement with someone that if you want to spend over a certain amount of money you'll tell them first. I set this up with my wife. The amount was $100.( It's more than that now.) Whenever I wanted to spend more than $100, I told her. The savings is this: She never told me "no!" But me saying it aloud to somebody else helped me answer the question "How important is it? And often not spending that money!
That saved enough for trips, furniture and much more.
Rick in Maine
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Several things:

1.  Go to websites of your favorite products as many have coupons that can be printed or can be "loaded" on your rewards cards at for example Kroger, etc.

2.  Sign up on Walgreens balance rewards program.  First you will be tracking important health data and making goals for yourself.  It is a motivator.  For me - I put my weight loss goal at 1 pound.  When you meet the goal you get 250 points.  And get your lab work from your doctor and put that in where appropriate, same for blood pressure, blood sugar, A1c, cholesterol.  You also track your activity (walking, exercise, etc) do at least 25 minutes perday and you get the goal for the day.  Right now today I have $60.00 in my account at Walgreens to spend..that I got just for doing these activities daily. Remember Walgreens has AARP day first Tuesday of each month - you get 20% off!

3.  Take advantage of AARP or senior (which can be as young as 50) discounts when going out to eat, auto service,etc.  There are many restaurants, etc that offer discounts that are not affiliated with AARP - so always ask

4.  Try your best to keep 10% of your income each month in savings

5.  If you are a camper - in Florida - for AARP/seniors you can stay at state/national park campgrounds for approximately $10 per night last time I checked.

6. If you are staying at a hotel, especially one week or longer, you can call them and speak with their marketing person and I have gottten as much as 75% off published rates (that was based on a 2 month stay).  The longer you stay the deeper the discount.  Also if you are willing to give up daily housekeeping that helps.

7.  I have found that if I order my long term meds through mail order and get generic - mine are free.  That saves me hundreds for each refill (90 day refill).

8.  My medicare is through Humana - they have a vitality program which gives me points every day for walking 7000 steps or if I go to silver sneaker gym.  I also get points for doing healthy things like getting annual wellness exam, annual eye exam, dental exam, mammogram, bone density, colo rectal screening, glucose test, cholesterol checked, vital signs and being weighed.  All these activities give me many points which I can then use in their "Vitality Mall" where I can get iPad, iPod, Fitbit trackers, Polar trackers, workout equipment, gift cards, and many other things.  These are all free just doing things I would do anyway

9.  Use retail me not when shopping - so many retailers have coupons on there - and you can put the app on your phone - very easy and saves lots.

10.  I try to have only $10 cash in my wallet and I have only used an ATM twice in 10 years.  When I do my grocery shopping I get minimal cash back to use for a necessity if out to long. 

11.  Take advantage of the AARP discounts for insurance, purhasing a new vehicle, local shopping, restaurants,etc. - and that local can be what ever city you put in the search field.

12.  Link your AARP account to Walgreens and other retailers for more discounts and/or more points to use for puchasing power

13.  Use Groupon for going out to eat, dental exams, hair cuts/color, and many other purchases and travel - they have great discounts also.

14.  Last but not least I use Quicken software and have a budget set up.  I will not go over my "going out to eat", new clothes, etc budget.  I actually try to stay at least 10% below the budget on these extras.  This software is great to keep track of what you are spending and where.  It is a great tool to allow you to exam where you are spending $$$ where it may not be a necessity

So many more - but I don't want to overwhelm!

Goodluck everyone

0 Kudos
Contributor

if you shop at Walmart user their "Savings Catcher" to have them price compare your shopping.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I believe in the adage, "A Stitch in Time Saves Nine" and try to avoid large repair bills by fixing things when the problem is small, before it becomes overwhelming both emotionally and financially.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I always register the amount that is deposited into my account less 10%. For example, I deposit $500 but I only put in my registry that I deposited $450. If you don't see it in the registry, you don't tend to spend.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Pay yourself every month!  If you no longer have a car payment, put that in a special savings account. You'll be glad you did!

0 Kudos
Contributor

My tip for savings without pain, is to keep all of my loose change in a jar.  When it fills up, I deposit it in my Credit Union account.  Amazing, how quickly it adds up!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I used to have a union job with a pension plan. Now I'm in a corporate environment so I figured out what the percentage was on the union job and I put that amount aside from this current job from each paycheck.

0 Kudos
Contributor

never pay full price.  wait and see if it goes on sale.  if it's used and the  price is posted, always offer a lot lower.  you can come up if they will come down.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay yourself first, every week, even if it's just a few dollars!

0 Kudos
Contributor

if it seems hard to put in large amounts do the penny per day, it adds up quickly and i'm looking forward to the extra $$ after Christmas.  It's called the 365 day penny saving challenge, give it a try.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Great magazine

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Don't buy life insurance for your children or grandchildren.  Any time something/someone is considered a "liability" (or "dependent" in tax terms), you don't "invest" in it.

0 Kudos

Change the engine air filter yourself, autoparts stores might even point out where the box is [look for a wide, ridged hose]. And go for maintenance when your book says, not every 3,000 miles.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I was always taught to re-purpose, reuse, and recycle. My family never threw away anything they could fix. Also, get a credit card for emergency purposes but when you use it try to pay it off in full every month. That will increase your credit score which gets you better interest rates on auto loans, mortgages, auto insurance and many other benefits. Do not live for instant gratification but save for what you want. You'll be happier in the long run.

0 Kudos
Contributor

As the saying goes "Alittle bit goes a long way."Start saving early. It will pay off for your future.

I have a full and part time job with pay dates on alternate weeks. $5.00 from each check is direct deposited into my savings account.  Savings grow quickly because I forget about it.

Regular Contributor

Ditch cable-checkout Roku as an alternative.

L. Fitzpatrick

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Ditch cable television and save big bucks. Plenty of free video viewing available on-line and antenna T.V. Buy a used antenna at a thrift store, check out DVDs at your local public library.

Regular Contributor

rediscover the joys of reading.  check out the new books at the public library.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

And don'f forget to check out all of the other things that your local library may provide like movies, music cds, magazines on line, book clubs to join and other free events.
0 Kudos
Contributor

To save $$$ in and for retirement you can:

visit local area library websites for interesting music, theater and art workshops, hear lectures, learn skills and interesting discussions on current topics and some have museum passes that allow you to visit for free!

rent DVDs from the library for a low cost evening at home- they usually include recently released DVDS, catch up on a TV/Cable past season episodes, learn a skill or scope out an upcoming vacation spot

visit county websites for summer music and plays usually held in county parks in the evening - bring a picnic basket, enjoy the evening!

visit hospital websites as many offer community outreach programs which provide information about a wide range of health topics, senior programs, mediation/yoga etc

look up free museum days, free garden days, national park service events, and free art museum days all for things to do that are fun and save $$$

0 Kudos

Saving for a rainy day....a penny saved a penny earned...my mom was right saving is important and I am working harder to save more.

I save in multiple savings accounts.  Each month I put a deposit in each and let them grow. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP