Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

Keep it simple!! Save !! Save !!! Save!!

Contributor

I am going to start growing my own food in container gardens.  Vegetables cost a fortune at the Grocery store.  You can grow your own vegetables - - freeze, pickle, or can most of it, and also can store many (example: potatoes) for months inside.  This will save tons of money.  Most vegetables produce pretty quickly!  Container gardens don't take up much room and are easy to tend to.  

Regular Contributor

if you have the room in your backyard, plant dwarf fruit trees.  Enjoy the fruits every year without having to replant.  Save money that way.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Have an app on your smart phone that tells you the gas prices in the area so you can go to the cheapest one that is close by.

0 Kudos
Contributor

GasBuddy

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Make a commitment to deposit a set amount of money into your savings account each pay period. Multiple savings accounts can be helpful for saving for major purchases or expenses, one for your emergency fund, one for annual real estate taxes, one for Christmas gifts, etc.  

Periodic Contributor

Excellent idea!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Very smart!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I pay with paper money (bills). Then when i get cash back in coins-i put all of that in a big jar. It collects money without really missing it. Then when the jar is full, i take to the bank and cash it in. Most times i am really surprised at the total! Then i put that money in my savings account, WaLa: Money i never missed but now have a great savings account balance!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I always round up to the next whole dollar when inputting check amounts in check register and that is my secret balance.  it can add up pretty quickly.  My daughter swears by it also.

Lists are a must and don't stray. You will find yourself with a wild bill. Remember to check sake items and possibly stock up.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

When going shopping, wait until you have several places close together and then make one trip.

Contributor

I like to combine rebate programs, such as Ebates, with store credit discounts (stores that give 5% off for using their card.) I do this by ordering online, paying with the store credit card, then picking the items up at the store, or take advantage of any free shipping to my home that they are offering. Oh, and then I pay the credit card balance off at the end of the month. If I've gotten a coupon from the store for any additional money off, that increases my savings!

Contributor

I still love using coupons -- combined with BOGO offers and sale prices, they can save a lot of $$$.

Contributor

I love to shop with a logical list.  If you find something special note it and include in your next budget and outing - only if you can walk away, consider it, and then determine if it is a solid purchase.  As we teach our children that they do not need instant gratification, we must also remind ourselves the same ideal!  Enjoy your life and blessings, Sher

Regular Contributor

My rule is NEVER to spend $100 or more, whether store or online purchase, house repair, etc., without walking away and considering it for at least 2 days  (you can set the amount at any $  appropriate for yourself).

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I try NEVER to spend $100 or more without walking away and thinking about it for at least a couple of days, whether it's a store purchase, an online transaction, or a house repair, etc.--amazing how often I can "save" the money that way! (and you can set the threshold at any amount appropriate for yourself).

0 Kudos
Contributor

Save 1 dollar a day for a rainy day which will surly come.

Periodic Contributor

Use free services like the library and local parks. Senior centers often have free services and it's a great way to meet people.

Regular Contributor

Keeping your cars maintained saves money in the long run.

Regular Contributor

I agree.  My 2006 car has 100,000 miles and is still in great shape, due to regular maintenance, and I'm keeping it till it "dies"!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I totally agree; my 2006 car has reached 100,000 miles, but is still in great shape because of regular maintenance, and I'm planning to keep it till it "dies"!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have my paycheck direct deposited into my savings account and only transfer out the amount needed to pay bills - the difference remain in savings and grow each month.
Contributor

I find staying home saves me a lot of money

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Try saving $3 -5 dollars a month and you will be surprised a the end of the year! Ten dollars a month is even better!
Contributor

Pay only with cash. When you're out, you are done. Do NOT put anything on your credit cards. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

If you're a veteran, shop at the Commissary for big savings over Walmart's prices.

Regular Contributor

Do not buy something just because it is on sale.  Only buy something if you really need it.

Contributor

I totally agree, buy only what you need. Do not buy just because it is on sale...
Periodic Contributor

Totally true, another fact, don't buy under emotional distress, such as anger, hurt or depressed.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP