Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Info Seeker

Re: staying sharp scam

Message 1 of 12 (145 Views)
Agreed 100%
Already a member and they want to soak you for more money. Seems like there is less and less value to this organization...OM.
Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 12 (423 Views)

I just joined AARP because of their touting 'brain games' and evaluations. Right off the bat I see an additional charge plus the negative comments of other members. I am already doubting the value of this organization. Seems like they are just another money making scam outfit that's capitalizing on older Americans. Such B.S.!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 12 (1,027 Views)

The membership fee at Staying Sharp is for the testing, exercises, and assistance with many brain functions. AARP recommends its use for those that need it. I paid the membership fee for Staying Sharp and I really like their site.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 12 (2,074 Views)

They just charged our credit card without our authorization. I wrote them, and AARP requesting a refund. I also encouraged AARP to cancel any association they have with Staying Sharp, because of their unacceptable business practices.

Frankly, it also motivates us to review the value of our membership in AARP as well.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 12 (2,553 Views)

I started to sign up and took the first preliminary part but then backed out because it looked fishy.  Wish I had given them my currently inactive email address.  Entries here sound like I will be getting stuff from them rather I want it or not.  I agree, Not very cool of AARP to send us to these people.  So far the best thing, other than the discounts, I've gotten from AArp is a free health tracking app for my iphone.

Community Manager

Message 6 of 12 (2,735 Views)

@n866081s 

We are sorry your experience with Staying Sharp has been frustrating to you.  Please call our membership department at -1888-687-2277 or send an email to member@aarp.org with these same specifics and they will assist in getting this issue resolved.

AARPTeri
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 12 (2,764 Views)

I couldn't agree more! I tried to cancel my subscription after the first month, but continued to be charged. Then I went back and read the small print, which just says "If you would like to stop receiving Staying Sharp emails but continue to receive other emails from AARP, then please click here to unsubscribe." There were no options for unsubscribing to the program or canceling the subscription. So you don't get the email any longer (keeping Staying Sharp off the radar) but you keep paying. My bad for not reading the small print, but also not what you would expect given the claim that you can cancel at any time. I looked everywhere on the web to find out how to cancel, and after 20 minutes of searching found an email address for a help desk, which sent me to an AARP member services number. The first rep I got couldn't find out how to help after searching for 15 minutes in her system. I called back and got another rep who was eventually able to figure out how to cancel the subscription. This feels like one of those scams on older people that you read about in the news, not the kind of thing I'd expect from AARP.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 12 (3,030 Views)

But were the results of the test worth the $5.99 ?

And were you able to cancel?

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 12 (3,410 Views)

Scam.  Glad, I used inaccurate information.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 12 (3,435 Views)

Ok, I bought and now, the sites been taken down. So, will there be continuing charges of $5.99? I went to the page, with the idea of canceling (which I was going to do right from the start) and then find that I can't acess a thing. So, who do you contact to get this mess unraveled?