Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: What do you do to keep your brain sharp?

Message 21 of 29 (11,684 Views)
I am retired but I serve on two boards as president. That is sometimes challenging. I walk/hike 4 miles twice daily. I also look for persons who outwardly share their opinions and often take an opposing point of view so that we can explore all facets of an argument. Sometimes this does not work with people who are selfish and quick to anger. I back off with these types. I'm glad that there are plenty of open minded people in this world.
Info Seeker

Message 22 of 29 (11,910 Views)
I am 90 and I play games on my computer,play cards with a group of friends, enter online sweepstakes, do Acrostic puzzles. walk my dog PT every day, manage business affairs and I can still remember poems from my Grammar School days! Auntie AA
Conversationalist

Message 23 of 29 (12,072 Views)

I still work at 67, do cross word puzzels, read a lot, play word games on line. I joined a gym and try to get out to meet new people. We attend church, go to movies. Every thing I think that wiil help keep my brain sharp I do.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 29 (12,268 Views)

Soosie wrote:
"....PS: I also try to stay away much of the time from the group called "Politics and Current Events.

But posting on those threads would keep your 'virtual' tongue sharp..............

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 29 (12,254 Views)

I would recommend, aside from diet and exercise, exactly as other posters have stated they do. Find activities you enjoy, that will keep you engaged. We all have different abilties, interest, physical limitations, whatever.....  Just find things to do to keep you occupied (aside from TV).

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 29 (12,034 Views)

Besides exercise, diet, brain games, yard work, golf, traveling I prepare taxes 3 days a week until April 15 as an AARP tax aide volunteer. Then in May I begin volunteering 1 day a week for the Senior Health Insurance Information Program-OSHIIP under the direction of our LT. Governor. Both programs require classroom study and a final examination to become certified each year. This is my 4th year as a tax aide and 2nd year as an OSHIIP volunteer.

Keeping busy in retirement and I love it.

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 27 of 29 (11,724 Views)

Since I retired, I've periodically taken on responsibilities in leadership positions in volunteer organizations. It's been even more creative & demanding than compensated positions .. with only my accomplishments as reward. Since I retired very young, I've also depended on my investments for 100% of my income, so that keeps me sharp too.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 29 (11,080 Views)
I am fortunate that I still work. It is a very mentally challenging job. I am way past retirement age. If and when I do retire, I hope to take some classes to learn more about some of the crafts I enjoy. Working with floral arrangements is one and writing is the other.

PS: I also try to stay away much of the time from the group called "Politics and Current Events."

Soosie
Community Manager

What do you do to keep your brain sharp?

Message 29 of 29 (11,120 Views)

Many do crossword puzzles or play games, but there is also the importance of exercise and diet.  What are your brain exercises?  What do you recommend for others?

AARPTeri