Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist

Re: Stress-busting Neuroscience Reveals 4 Easy Rituals To Become Stress-Free

Message 1 of 9 (1,214 Views)

I read the Stress-busting rituals, and while they might work for some, I have my own stress-reducing method usually right at my feet - my two large dogs.  If I want to go outside to de-stress, there are my three large goats.  All of my animals help me reduce stress when I have any problem that actually causes stress. 

How can one not relax when several pair of beautiful eyes are looking at you, tails wagging happily, rear ends wiggling with joy because you're paying attention to them?  They, the dogs and the goats, patiently listen to whatever I have to say, even though I don't think they understand a word of it (but sometimes I'm not sure about that.). Their only goal is to be with me.  The don't judge, criticize, give advice, get upset or insulted. They listen. They rub against me, nuzzle me, and when I pet them or brush their coats (the dogs and the goats liked to get brushed) they look at me as if they're saying "more, please". And in return, I feel better. 

Instead of being stressed, petting and talking to the animals relaxes me to the point that I forgot what I was stressed about.  I don't feel the need for chemical relaxants, herbal remedies, or a therapist.  I have a farm full of natural therapists at my fingertips - and right now two of them are lying at my feet (I can't potty train the goats so they have to stay in their own house in the barnyard). 

Get a dog or other animal and stress will become a foreign word! 

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 9 (1,490 Views)

I must say I've never tried clenching my facial muscles but I certainly will try it next time.  Years ago my Mother told me about splashing cold water on my face and it does work.  I've been in situations where I didn't want to wet my face and placed ice on the back of my neck and that also seemed to help.  Hope it helps.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 9 (2,450 Views)

Epster! Thank you for a link to a recommended and informative site! Stress is why I retired when common sense told me to keep working while I was healthy and able to keep building up retirement funds. The daily grind of working in an environment that provided good pay and flexibility was, none the less, uncomfortable for me because, my demanding, high maintenance boss stressed out everyone.......for years. 

I retired a year ago because of the stress and feel such freedom. That doesn't mean my life is stress-free so I still need to be able to channel those moments.  I just don't have so many hitting many at one time.

amcoffiebean
Info Seeker +

Message 4 of 9 (6,165 Views)

That's an interesting little article, but I'm surprised that taking a thirty to sixty minute walk wasn't mentioned. (Maybe the dance serves the same purpose.)

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 9 (7,133 Views)

Nice to hear I'm I not alone on this issue (and many more)!!!  This is my first time on any type of social media.

The process of aging is wonderful and terrible at the same time.  I feel happier than I ever have (most of the time).  Knowing my time here is limited has brouhgt me great joy, I feel so alive and in the moment. 

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 9 (7,138 Views)

This is my first time on this site, I love it.  

I dance to oldies when Im not able to relax in the evening, after 2 dances I can relax enough to quiet my mind.  Also it helps when I garden or talk a walk by the ocean.

Teresa W

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 9 (7,564 Views)

pbonnie80 wrote:

I do all the above, except the cold water. Yes, they work. We can retrianthe brain for a better and healthier life and liestyle. Start by trying just one today for one week. You will start to feel the difference. Jsut do a litle, but be consisitent.

Bonnie

@pbonnie80 Hi Bonnie, welcome to the forum!  Sounds like you have plenty of wisdom to share about stress management: yay! Smiley Happy

About the cold water: Back when I was first menopausal (before I got it under control with herbal remedies), occasionally stress would cause my face to turn crimson, my body heat to shoot up about 20 degrees and my heart to race. I would go from calm to a full-on stress attack in a split second. I found that splashing cold water on my face (and sometimes making a cold compress with a washcloth) helped turn things around.

Then, of course, I had to get serious about addressing the root problem. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 9 (7,575 Views)

I do all the above, except the cold water. Yes, they work. We can retrianthe brain for a better and healthier life and liestyle. Start by trying just one today for one week. You will start to feel the difference. Jsut do a litle, but be consisitent.

Bonnie

Treasured Social Butterfly

Stress-busting Neuroscience Reveals 4 Easy Rituals To Become Stress-Free

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 9 (7,694 Views)

We've subscribed to UCLA researcher Eric Barker's weekly email focused on successful, healthful living now for about 7 years and have found the information quite helpful. I post this in hopes that others may derive benefit. Selections taken from the Barking Up The Wrong Tree weekly blog post for February 26th, 2017. Read the entire piece here and subscribe to the weekly newsletter here.

New Neuroscience Reveals 4 Easy Rituals That Will Make You Stress-Free

3rd glass of wine.jpg 

The modern world seems to be designed to increase stress and I'm starting to wonder if worrying will soon be an Olympic sport.

You may have your own ways of coping with stress. Problem is, research says they probably don't work.

From The Willpower Instinct:

"The APA’s national survey on stress found that the most commonly used strategies were also rated as highly ineffective by the same people who reported using them. For example, only 16 percent of people who eat to reduce stress report that it actually helps them. Another study found that women are most likely to eat chocolate when they are feeling anxious or depressed, but the only reliable change in mood they experience from their drug of choice is an increase in guilt."

So let's go after this stress thing where it lives: your brain. There are some great methods to train your mind to reduce stress... But they take work. And right now you're too stressed out for any of that. (Or maybe you're just lazy and impatient. Hey, I don't judge.)

So we need some stuff that's diabolically easy and backed by neuroscience research -- but let's keep the emphasis on diabolical. If you brain won't play fair, neither will we. So what do we need here?

Old fashioned treachery. Of the neuroscience variety. Time to do an end run around your brain's stress response and exploit physiology to trick it into calming down. Let's play neurological hardball...

1) Clench Your Facial Muscles And Relax Them

Communication between your brain and your body is a two-way street. There's a feedback loop. So if you can't get your brain to make your body calm down, you can use your body to make your brain calm down.

Your grey matter gets stressed and your muscles tighten up. Then your tense muscles send a signal back to your brain, confirming you're stressed. We gotta break the loop.

Clench your facial muscles and then relax them. Now your body is sending a signal to your brain saying, "We're not stressed anymore. You shouldn't be either."

2) Take Slow, Deep Breaths

The vagus nerve is one of the key emotional highways in your body. It sends signals down to your heart and up to your brain playing a critical role in regulating the fight-or-flight system.

Directly stimulating the vagus nerve can fix all your issues... Only problem is that would require a scalpel and a lot of medical school loans. So we'll stay focused on treachery.

How you breathe can hijack the way the vagus nerve works. In fact, it's one of the fastest ways to change your emotional state.

3) Splash Your Face With Cold Water

Cold water on your face will jolt your vagus nerve and slow your heart rate. Your brain feels your heart rate dropping and says, "We must not be stressed anymore." (Ha! Stupid brain...)

From The Upward Spiral: Using Neuroscience to Reverse the Course of Depression, One Small Change at a Time:

"Sudden cold water on your face slows down your heart rate by indirectly stimulating the vagus nerve. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, stressed, or anxious, find a sink, fill your hands with cold water, and splash it on your face."

Alright, maybe you've made funny faces, you're breathing like Darth Vader and your face is soaking wet -- but you're still stressed. Do not worry. (Or I should say, "Do not worry even more.") Neuroscience has another sneaky trick. And this one is fun...

4) Play Music And Do A Little Dance

Music effects how you feel, right? Fight the bad feelings with good feelings by listening to the music you love.

Sound overly simple? Nope. Your favorite song will passively help straighten out key limbic system regions like your hippocampus, your anterior cingulate and your nucleus accumbens. Making music has an even more powerful effect.

And, no, you don't have to do a little dance. But you get bonus points if you do.

Read the entire blog entry here: http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2017/02/stress-free/

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving