Caring for loved ones?

Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Health

Community Manager
AARPTeri

Do you play computer games? Games with your kids or grandchildren? You should!

There are plenty of studies that now show improved brain health when playing online games. http://blog.aarp.org/2013/09/06/zoom-zoom-video-games-may-help-make-old-brains-act-young-again/ 

So we are curious how many of you do this already?
AARPTeri
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
AARPTeri

Do you play computer games? Games with your kids or grandchildren? You should!

There are plenty of studies that now show improved brain health when playing online games. http://blog.aarp.org/2013/09/06/zoom-zoom-video-games-may-help-make-old-brains-act-young-again/ 

So we are curious how many of you do this already?
AARPTeri
Please use plain text.
Social Butterfly
oldgraymare2

Re: Do you play computer games? Games with your kids or grandchildren? You should!

Yes. I like to play the games right here on the AARP website. 

I also like to play other free on-line games, too. 

I don't play against anyone else, in any kind of games where you play right against someone in some kind of card game or board game--anything like that. I am too slow for that.

However, I like to play Solitaire and some of the other fun flip-type games where you have to match up three items--things like that. I also like to do jigsaw puzzles and crossword puzzles too, and other kinds of word puzzles.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
6ginger4

Re: Do you play computer games? Games with your kids or grandchildren? You should!

I play several free online games. One against other people. I have for some years. I am 66 years old and I can tell that my memory is improving. I occasionally still lose my keys though. Lol
Please use plain text.
Frequent Social Butterfly
LeCherie

Yes, I play games from FaceBook.  Two of the best I've found are Criminal Case, which not only requires you to remember things but also moves them around and has 6 different types of scenes to play to build up your 'points';  the other is Murder in Providence which is another scenes game, with different mental challenges.  I play these with people all over the world.
Please use plain text.
Recognized Social Butterfly
Sparkel18

I have been playing games on the AARP site for over four years. I have always worked crosswords, Soduku and Cryptogram puzzles on paper, but playing against a "clock" and having to make quick decisions seems to have benefited my mind. I now find that my brain seems to work more quickly.  It's good to switch games and keep constantly challenging yourself, forcing your mind into new avenues.

Oh the other hand, I think it is good to limit the amount of time you spend seated at the computer. Being on your feet and moving around, getting exercise, is also very important for brain health. I make sure that I work out at the gym an hour a day. These exercise classes provide movement and socialization. There are classes at most gyms and YMCA's for older adults and I recomment making use of these. Some health insurances cover the cost of these classes.

Doing volunteer work also provides an opportunity to get exercise and to socialize. It's good to just get out of the house once you retire.

Eating healthy also aids in brain health. Shop at your local Farmer's Market and eat fruits and vegetables daily.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
jtabs

I play RPG and Stratgy video games and occassionally shooters and it gives me something else in common with my nephews and grand children.  My top games are Civilization, Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect, The Witcher 2 and SkyRim.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
anneyaz

I never play video games.  I use my computer for more important tasks: e-mail, finances, etc.
I have played board and card  games all my life with friends, children, and grandchildren.  I play mah jongg with friends once a week.  I also read vorciously.  I also socialize, sleep well and eat healthy.  I don't need video games.  I am about to be 86 and so far I am of sound mind.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
moonstone2

As a baby boomer, I loved to play board games as a child with family. Now I play many of the same games via video games! Monopoly, card games and Scrabble are some of my favorites but I also love time management and arcade games such as "Plants and Zombies".

Brend
Please use plain text.
Bronze Conversationalist
ladydi413

I do like the games on AARP website. I push myself to get a higher score each time I play and try to do them a couple times a week. Need to exercise the brain as well as the body. Taking college classes help as well. There are many universities that allow seniors (yeah!) to take classes for FREE. Check out your local colleges and universities for this benefit.
Please use plain text.