Help AARP Foundation Rush Aid to Seniors Affected by Flooding in Louisiana. Give Now

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Do you play computer games? Games with your kids or grandchildren? You should!

Message 1 of 31 (801 Views)

OK, I just HAD to reply to this one. I am a World of Warcraft addict... I admit it. In fact, the game is so addictive it is sometimes refered to as World of Warcrack Smiley Wink . It is a mmorpg game or massive multi-player online role playing game. You interact with other people from all over the country and even from other countries. You can gather in groups of people to complete 'quests' or do battle in areas call battle grounds and there is a small chat pane (window) where you can comunicate with each other in real time. It is the sort of game where you have to solve puzzles, plan stratigies and tactics in order to eliminate opposing forces of equal numbers of players from a different faction or in the game environment all manner of creatures, monsters and/or obsticals in order to reach a specific goal or objective. Now, that will give your brain a real work-out. It is a monthly fee game, but there are others similar to it that are free to play, just not as good. It's really good for hand/eye coordination exercise as well as making you 'think'. The target audience for it is mostly from teens to young adults, so an old fart like me really has to be on his toes to keep up with all these young'uns Smiley LOL .

I also play a few single player computer games such as Skyrim, which is similar in that you have to go on quests for a number of game characters confronting creatures, "bad guys" and other obsticals as well as solving a number of puzzles in order to gain entrance to various places or find certain treasures. It's all in good fun and really makes you think Smiley Wink .

Thank God I'm a country boy!
Bill a.k.a. Bendybones
Info Seeker

Re: Do you play computer games? Games with your kids or grandchildren? You should!

Message 2 of 31 (1,448 Views)
my grandson and I like to compete with on-line solitaitre games where you try to clear board with cards adding up to thirteen or higher or lower than deal card.
so much fun, very fast paced.
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 31 (4,084 Views)

Yes, I don't have grand kids, but I enjoy computer games; magic puzzles, mahjong and spider solitaire I play these games everyday and enjoy the challenge.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 31 (4,300 Views)

My routine is crossword puzzle, sudoku, spider solitaire and some of the brain games on the AARP site. I do at least 3 of these every day.  In addition, I like to play chess and scrabble with grandkids.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 31 (4,440 Views)

I'm wondering if anyone here plays simulation games (online or otherwise). I'm actually quite surprised that I've not seen any mention of these here in the forums. I'll call these Games for Grownups... if I can borrow recent phrase and I'd think can be considered EXCELLENT mind sharpening things to do while at home, on a desktop.

These couple of 'videos' are recorded from 'video games' (by someone else... although still these are created on 'home' computers.. not some super-computer somewheres). Further, just making these videos are a mind exercise in itself. These two are from 'flight simulator' programs that will run on your HOME computer. I'm aware of other 'simulation' games where much of the same thing is being done... again... while at home. (One fun program could be called a 'shopping simulator'... 'mgain that!! Let me know if you'd like to see some YouTubes from it.)

This one, titled Slow Ride, is an easy helicopter 'ride' over a farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Xa7J1K8sDOc

This one is a little more 'active'.. it from the company that makes this current 'flight simulator'. With this (for only $70 and your home computer) will put you in the pilots seat of a jumbo jet.. if you'd like. (PS... I'm NOT selling this, but am considering to purchase it myself!). By the way.. this doesn't require an internet connection unless you want to 'interact' with other pilots/planes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4pCo3bILdkk

Enjoy! and let me know if anyone is interested in discussing these further!!

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 31 (4,454 Views)

Yes, I play the games on lumosity. I find them to be helpful. After reading the article on "10 drugs that can cause memory loss," I see that 3 medicines that I take cause memory loss. I think I understand now why the games have been more difficult in recent years. Thanks, AARP, for putting out the article. I also think that seeing a downturn in the scores on these memory games is diagnostic of a memory problem.   

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 31 (4,502 Views)
I am playing Skyrim now. I really like it. Also played entire Uncharted series of games
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 31 (4,502 Views)

Yes I have a PS3 that I play games on . also play BIG Fish games.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 31 (4,769 Views)

Have never played a game on my computer. I bet it can be fun.

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 31 (4,782 Views)

I play various solitaire games and other word and number games on my Kindle and also use the AARP games site.  I understand it is best to play several different kinds of games because each works different aspects of your brain or memory.

My only complaint about many of the AARP games is that they time-out.  I'd like to have a choice of being able to play a leisurely game with no time limit (and perhaps earn fewer points) or to try to complete a level in as little time as possible.  Sometimes I just want to relax with a game and not have the stress of rushing through it.

I have heard that one of the best ways to keep your brain active is to learn another language.  I haven't started a new one yet, but I lived in Brazil more than 40 yrs ago so I am re-learning Portuguese with audio tapes from the library. 

Learning any new thing is good for your brain. A study showed that learning digital photography had the best overall effect. Where I live, I can take free (for seniors) credited classes at my community college, so I take one class each semester. (I can audit or take it for credit.) One has to pay for books and they are expensive, but I rent mine from an online site.

I also read a lot ---so I am always learning something new. I love being able to listen to audio books and do something else at the same time ---drive, walk, do laundry, paint, work in the garden.  TO me, being able to "read" and do something else at the same time is my idea of heaven. (I no longer buy books ---alwasy get them from the library.)

Another good way to keep ones brain active is to do physical exercise.  About 30-45 minutes of walking a day is sufficient for most. I do Nordic walking because it works the upper as well as the lower body.  It also relieves pressure on joints (knees, ankles, hips) and is good for those with balance problems.  (I have bad arthritis in one knee and a bad ankle after a break and several sprains.  Nordic walking is so much easier than regular walking.  I miss my Noridc poles when I am without them.) Besides that, Nordic walking burns 20-40% more calories than regular walking. If it is raining, too hot or too cold to walk outside, I go to the Y. (My health care provides a free membership through the SIlver Sneakers program.) The elliptical machine mimics the movements of Nordic walking and puts less pressure on joints than some other equipment.