Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Do you play brain games for your brain health?

Message 1 of 18 (2,437 Views)

Oh, I'm a puzzle girl and always have been. Typically, I work puzzles on my iPad while waiting for DH to get ready to go someplace. 

When I was in 8th grade I created my own alphabet, a secret code, if you will, for writing in my diary.  DH is the only person I ever shared this alphabet with, and we still pass notes written in it to each other. So he's a puzzle solver too, I guess, though in terms of games he's more an Angry Birds guy.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 18 (4,209 Views)

Play luminosity every day.  Do crossword puzzles

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 18 (4,892 Views)

My wife and I enjoy Perquacky, which may not be a true brain game, but it has certainly increased our "using" vocabulary as we check spellings in the dictionary.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 18 (4,980 Views)

".... (Though it would be super if they were promoting brain health!)....".

Yes. Just to be clear, there is some evidence it helps. You just can't 'sit in the dark' and do puzzles and think that is all there is --- that is, it's only one piece of the entire puzzle.  Smiley Tongue

And, to be honest, I don't enjoy puzzles. Never was any good at them. DW likes Sudoko --- bores me. I do like playing chess against the computer. I would think that qualifies.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Bronze Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 18 (5,114 Views)

wbuck341 wrote:

I should probably thank my Mother.  She was very active playing those games.  Her mind was very sharp, even at 98,  when she passed away two weeks after playing her last Scrabble game. 

I just had to reply to what you wrote about your mom. My mom loved playing bridge, which I think kept her mind sharp. She passed away a few months ago at the age of 91 (just two weeks after her last bridge luncheon).

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 18 (5,119 Views)

@retiredtraveler   Good post; I've read the same.  From your various posts, I know you do those things you mentioned for brain health, so you're not just talking - you're "walking the walk".

Currently, I have a long way to go in walking that walk, to the healthy extent that you apparently do.

On a lighter note, I enjoy a lot of the puzzles and games already mentioned by various posters at this topic, & I've always done them because I enjoy them, not to promote brain health. (Though it would be super if they were promoting brain health!)

Especially love Sudoku & logic puzzles with grids.  Also very much enjoy jigsaw puzzles online, at jigidi.com.  I play games at AARP site, but play more often at royalgames.com, where my favorite games are "Word Link" & card game "Pyramid".  I can easily become very engrossed in these various games & puzzles, & spend way too much time at them.  So I have to try to be tough with myself about time management of such activity!

(I do crossword puzzles on a regular basis, but don't find them as entertaining as the other puzzles & games I've mentioned.)

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 18 (5,134 Views)

None. According the literature I've read, there is no consistent evidence that puzzles/games do anything for brain heath. What does seem to work is exercise and diet, and regular interaction with people.

If you're not physcially active, not conversing with other people, not stimulated with regular interactions such as volunteering, taking part in group activies, sitting at home playing games will not help.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 18 (8,052 Views)

I play Sudoku, and Hidden object games online. I also play modern board games like Forbidden Desert, and Kan Ban with 30, 40, and 50 somethings. I am 63. I am also in the process of designing a board game. Worker placement and exploration style game about backpacking.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 18 (8,086 Views)

I play hidden object games, which also have logic puzzles between levels.  Not good at the action type games, and can't deal with the frustration of adventure type games.  I also do jigsaw puzzles online, usually working from 1 to 7 a day, with piece counts of 67 to 200.  This gives times from 4 to 30 minutes each, which helps with concentration, and spacial perception, and eye-hand coordination.

I am 73.

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 18 (8,407 Views)

I play Scrabble on Facebook ( 6 games going at the same time), do Crosswords, Sudokus, and Jumbles as well as other games on the computer.  I find it keeps my mind active and it allows me some relaxation.

I should probably thank my Mother.  She was very active playing those games.  Her mind was very sharp, even at 98,  when she passed away two weeks after playing her last Scrabble game.