AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Info Seeker

Re: Did you know taking a nap is good for you?

Message 1 of 23

After avoiding naps all these years, was surprised to discover recently that even resting on the bed for 20 minutes (couldn't go to sleep) was refreshing and stopped the droopy eyes.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 23

retiredtraveler wrote:

Nance53 wrote:

"...I knew a nap is good but I don't take one as then cant sleep at night. Could use about 4 PM when I get sleepy but fight my waypast it....".

The 'trick' is to take a short one. Many of us, as we get older, can fall asleep, seemingly within minutes, for a nap. You need to set an alarm and limit yourself to 15-20 minutes. This used to be called a 'power nap' that some corporations urged, and provided a space for, in their corporate buildings.

omg  I remember this..  there were relaxation spaces.  I think some of them are still there in our building LOL!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 23

Yes, I take naps regularly. If I can get even 20 minutes in, I feel refreshed and ready to face the rest of the day! If I slept poorly the night before, I try to get in a 2 hour nap. I also like to keep my room dark and cool. I always sleep with a fan on and facing me. I love the air brushing my face.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 23

Nance53 wrote:

"...I knew a nap is good but I don't take one as then cant sleep at night. Could use about 4 PM when I get sleepy but fight my waypast it....".

The 'trick' is to take a short one. Many of us, as we get older, can fall asleep, seemingly within minutes, for a nap. You need to set an alarm and limit yourself to 15-20 minutes. This used to be called a 'power nap' that some corporations urged, and provided a space for, in their corporate buildings.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 23

I knew a nap is good but I don't take one as then cant sleep at night. Could use about 4 PM when I get sleepy but fight my waypast it. 

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 23
me too, although I'm very tired I'll fight to stay up so I won't be up till 7 a.m.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 23

No I didn't.  I don't take naps because then I can't sleep at night.  Any suggestions?

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 23
A nap! brain nerves reactivate..new level
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 23
Thanks!
I didn't know a nap could increase your brain's processing ability SO MUCH!
Great to be on board with AARP!
Love It!!!
Conversationalist

Message 10 of 23

I do love to Nap as it give me a pleasant luxury or you can say a short of a mini-vacation. It helps to get some relaxation and rejuvenation. It restore alertness, enhance performance, and reduce mistakes and accidents. Study states that 40-minute nap improves the performance by 34% and alertness 100%.