Caring for loved ones?

Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Community
Entertainment & Leisure

Gold Conversationalist
Angel-Sally

Re: What's everyone reading?

We are in the Cuyahoga County Public Library system and it has been highly rated for a long while.  They have been building many new libraries all over the county (to replace some of the older ones.  Just this past week I received an e-mail from them that they are reducing the length of time we can keep books from three weeks to two weeks.  They are also cutting back on the time we can keep DVD's in the same way.  They say that reductions to the library's operating budget prevents them from purchasing material in the same quantities as they have in the past.  This will certainly affect me because  sometimes I have a stack of books lined up to read and I can keep renewing them online unless someone is asking for it.  I'm spoiled!Books - little girl with glasses shushing noisy people.jpg

Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
jgaff55

Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
jgaff55

Sally,

I can sympathize with your dilemma.  Two weeks is not very long, and I like to pick up a bunch of books every time I go, in case it is a while before I can go back.  I just found out the other day that our library allows an individual to check out up to 60 books at a time!  That's way more than I can carry!

Jan

Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
Angel-Sally

What's everyone reading?

This library change just might give me a bit of discipline...I order books online and all of a sudden instead of getting 1 or 2 books, 4 or 5 may come in and I hold onto them and keep renewing them until I've read them.  It is probably best for me to have just a couple on hand (plus books I've purchased at estate and yard sales that are just sitting here) so I don't always feel so overwhelmed.  I'm my own worst enemy sometimes.  But, I manage - just need to make some changes.  Sally

Please use plain text.
Super Social Butterfly
doglover52

The book "The Ocean at The End of The Lane" by Neil Gaiman is only 180pgs. The story is about a man who comes back for funeral in his childhood village in England. His house is gone,he walks to the farm at the end of the road where at age 7 he met a unusual girl,Lettie. The book is about that experience..It was ok,it has received rave reviews.

The book I'm about to start is "The Boys in The Boat" by Daniel James Brown. Its the true story of the Univ of Washington's rowing team who competed at the 1936 berlin Olympics. I love history this sounds fascinating. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Please use plain text.
ksales
Topics: 0
Kudos: 2

Re: What's everyone reading? RAGE AGAINST THE DYING

Well, I have a new heroine and a new series. I just finished this debut novel, RAGE AGAINST THE DYING, and can't wait for the next, which won't be out until January, I believe. What an intriguing protagonist! She's a 59-year-old former FBI special agent trying to live a quiet life as a newlywed  but gets involved in a crime related to one of her old cases. What a wonderfully unique person she is. I love her character's "voice". The storyline wasn't even vaguely similar to any other thriller I've ever read; it was unpredicatable, uncliched, etc. The writing is crisp and clear. It's so rare to read a good book with a heroine of this age who is strong, smart, and independent, and yet so human in many ways. I highly recommend this book--RAGE AGAINST THE DYING by Becky Masterman.

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker +
cletien

I read "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown about a month ago.  It was a fascinating book that read like a novel.  He talks about the lives of the young men who lived in Seattle during the Depression.  

Another book that I just finished is the "Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust" by Edith Beer.  It is an amazing story of how a young Jewish woman hide among the enemy.  Jean

Please use plain text.
Bronze Conversationalist
Blindcat

Hello everyone.  The animal shelter where I volunteer has been so busy that I have had no time to post.  But now I finally have a few minutes to relax!  Of course that means I have time to post the results of my book club's discussion of "Brideshead Revisited". 

Of the six women who attended, four found the book readable but did not enjoy it.  The other two liked the novel a great deal.  For those who did not care for the book the main problem was the lack of any likeable characters in the story.  Most found the prose well written enough but not very interesting.  the youngest of our group said she had to read it with a dictionary next to her.  She learned a lot of new words from "Brideshead". 

As for me, I was among those who did not care for the book but felt it was worth reading.  My major problems with the novel are the lack of any sort of true personality or direction among the characters.

The next book we will tackle is "Cold Comfort Farm".  No date for a meet has been set.  Stay tuned.  LOL

I just started "The Silkworm" by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowlings)  Very interesting so far.

Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
jgaff55

Re: What's everyone reading? RAGE AGAINST THE DYING

That sounds interesting. I will have to look for it at the library. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan
Please use plain text.
Regular Social Butterfly
LaDolceVita

Re: What's everyone reading? The Light in the Ruins by Chris Bohjalian

Hi folks!  I did not want to be absent for so long but more troubles came my way.  I found my mom on the floor one morning last week and she ended up in the hospital for 3 days.  Played havoc with my schedule.  She is well now and doing some physical therapy.   The bandage is still on her nose.

I was about half way through the Marsh King's Daughter and gave up.  Supposed to be historical fiction.   Well, It was just fiction set in another century and not very interesting.  I'm reading the Light in the Ruins but have only just begun.  I have lots of books o my list but no time to order them right now.

Jan I am so glad to hear yo will not be without a library.  

Auch ich in Arkadien
Please use plain text.