Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: New look coming soon.

Message 1 of 78
I really don't know but I read that article
that you posted the link to about turning the monitor itself around.
I found it interesting but don't know when I will be able to get to
checking my monitor to see if this can be done. I am thinking that
it won't be possible but only because I have had this monitor for
several years.
Also I have yet to be able to figure out how to flip my view from landscape
to portrait, and this might be because I am using a Linux o/s. 

Valued Social Butterfly

(86 Views)

Cat0w,

That might be somewhat difficult for SassiLady to do since she said she was viewing on a 24" flat screen monitor.

Think there is some stability issues on the site.  The AARP red bar seems to do relatively ok on my IPad but jumps around on my PC - like rker321 posted.

I am not running AdBlocket but might pick it up since even ads that give you an "X" to close them keep reappearing after you close them out once.

The ad at the top of the page needs to be either smaller, moved or only put on the topic page.

And I agree that the page selection should be at the bottom in addition to the top.

Well now, this worked real good, NOT. Told me there was some HTML data that I guess was not acceptable so they removed it and if it looked okay to me then it would post. Well it posted alright. LOL! Another FLUKE.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 78

While changing the monitor may not be for everyone here is an article on this. It is a couple of years old.

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/vertical-monitor-setup/

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 78

SassiLady wrote:

Thanks, but I have never tried rotating the view on a desktop monitor. I am using a 24" flat widescreen one. I also do not see anymore showing in the examples than I am getting on my monitor.

=========

I just tried going to the desktop [windows 10], right-clicking, then selecting display.  From there I selected 'portrait' view.   That's where all I got was the screen flipped left sideways.

I do have a laptop that I rarely use that will rotate the view if it is tilted.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 78

TxGrandpa2, thank you as you explained it very well, which I don't think I did. I do use a Kindle but never use it for places like here. I cannot stand using that thing to type on. So I read and only play WWF on it.

I am adding this, I do not have windows 10 on my desktop. I am using a Linux O/S. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 78

Thanks, but I have never tried rotating the view on a desktop monitor. I am using a 24" flat widescreen one. I also do not see anymore showing in the examples than I am getting on my monitor.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 78

cat0w wrote:

@GailL1  I have a 24 inch flat screen too and while I know I would not want mine that way all the time, I know it can be done. Rotating the screen was the way I was able to get that screen capture.

The main places I have seen this used is in a business setting.

I also have a 27" desktop monitor and it would be awkward to rotate the screen.   There is a method by right clicking the desktop, especially in Windows 10, and choosing portrait orientation.   But that just shows the display on it's end.

Your solution would apply mostly to laptops, etc with movable rotation.  Some of us are still old-fashioned and only use desktops. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 78

@GailL1  I have a 24 inch flat screen too and while I know I would not want mine that way all the time, I know it can be done. Rotating the screen was the way I was able to get that screen capture.

The main places I have seen this used is in a business setting.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 78

Cat0w,

That might be somewhat difficult for SassiLady to do since she said she was viewing on a 24" flat screen monitor.

Think there is some stability issues on the site.  The AARP red bar seems to do relatively ok on my IPad but jumps around on my PC - like rker321 posted.

I am not running AdBlocket but might pick it up since even ads that give you an "X" to close them keep reappearing after you close them out once.

The ad at the top of the page needs to be either smaller, moved or only put on the topic page.

And I agree that the page selection should be at the bottom in addition to the top.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 78

@SassiLady  You may not want to do this but a person can rotate their monitor and get more showing on the page. See example image below.

AARPRotateScreen.JPG

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 78

Right on! I am using a 24" widescreen flat monitor and the below mentioned takes up about 40% of the page, DUH. Also depending on the length of the post I can only get 2 to a page at the most. This is terrible and not "user friendly".

Valued Social Butterfly
Quackers

(12 Views)
madriver wrote:
But I have the big red AARP banner and an ad taking up about 1/3 of my screen, along with an occasional "test your hearing" come-on, and that's really annoying.

Annoying is an understatement. Why on earth was it thought a good idea to take up such a large amount of space at the top of the page? Does it serve a purpose?