The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Is an auction a member benefit or a contest?

Message 1 of 2 (483 Views)

HokiePoq wrote:

Sorry to start a new thread but was unable to reply after many attempts on the other thread I started.  Maybe three pages is the limit on that.   Got many email notifications of messages that were repeats today.   

Just have to say to Teri (whose attention to this matter I appreciate) that the auctions are more contests than benefit.  I understand employees getting benefits such as discounts or access to insurance programs.   Competitive auctions are more contests than a benefit in my opinion.  I am not a lawyer who can understand how this would relate to the laws surrounding sweepstakes which exclude employees by law.   We are not bidding with money but with points accrued by participation and time.

Industry standard?

These auctions which do not involve money are being compared to what?  Ebay and such are NOT comparisons.  What other nonprofit has auctions such as these?  That would be the standard, not sales.  Please let me know about them as I would check them out myself.

Remain very distressed with the changes that have excluded me and others who are not knowledgeable about ways other that the ways AARP lists.  (Thank you to the poster who has given suggestions.)  AARP or its contractor who runs this need to list the ways to accumulate massive amounts of points so that all can participate if this method of bidding is going to continue.   

I am hesitant to believe that all the bids are examined as Teri says.  It appears that a computer is handling the auctions not an individual at a terminal.  If I'm wrong about that, I'd be glad to know it.

Meanwhile I'm brushing up on my Spanish by following the other poster's very helpful suggestions.

And playing AARP games...Oh, wait!  Our high scores have been deleted and now we only have daily scores.   

I REALLY have to find another way to waste time online.....when I should be cleaning and downsizing.

@HokiePoq I'm glad my tips are helping you make more rewards points. Yay! Rack 'em up!

@AARPTeri, including you here, hoping to make sure you see this thread. 

Everyone: Enjoy the holiday weekend!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Is an auction a member benefit or a contest?

Message 2 of 2 (516 Views)

Sorry to start a new thread but was unable to reply after many attempts on the other thread I started.  Maybe three pages is the limit on that.   Got many email notifications of messages that were repeats today.   

Just have to say to Teri (whose attention to this matter I appreciate) that the auctions are more contests than benefit.  I understand employees getting benefits such as discounts or access to insurance programs.   Competitive auctions are more contests than a benefit in my opinion.  I am not a lawyer who can understand how this would relate to the laws surrounding sweepstakes which exclude employees by law.   We are not bidding with money but with points accrued by participation and time.

Industry standard?

These auctions which do not involve money are being compared to what?  Ebay and such are NOT comparisons.  What other nonprofit has auctions such as these?  That would be the standard, not sales.  Please let me know about them as I would check them out myself.

Remain very distressed with the changes that have excluded me and others who are not knowledgeable about ways other that the ways AARP lists.  (Thank you to the poster who has given suggestions.)  AARP or its contractor who runs this need to list the ways to accumulate massive amounts of points so that all can participate if this method of bidding is going to continue.   

I am hesitant to believe that all the bids are examined as Teri says.  It appears that a computer is handling the auctions not an individual at a terminal.  If I'm wrong about that, I'd be glad to know it.

Meanwhile I'm brushing up on my Spanish by following the other poster's very helpful suggestions.

And playing AARP games...Oh, wait!  Our high scores have been deleted and now we only have daily scores.   

I REALLY have to find another way to waste time online.....when I should be cleaning and downsizing.