Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE????

Honored Social Butterfly

IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE????

For the second time, on camera no less, Mitch McConnell froze up like a marble statue. This time, his assistant couldn't pry his hands from the lectern because he was holding on to it for dear life. All the medical talking heads have postulated what these episodes ARE NOT but they haven't been able to say what they ARE.

His anyone had the same experience with a patient, relative, or co-worker????

Trusted Social Butterfly

Preface: This is a socio-cultural comment, not a political comment.

The obsession with personal power and, frankly, attitude of hubris since the end of WW2 seems to have left us blind to the appropriate role of holders of public office. Personally, when I cast an electoral vote, I am voting for a Representative not a Leader. If said Representative demonstrates competent, prosocial leadership skills in a pinch then Yippee Ki Yay mofo. But 'By The People For The People' means their first obligation is to represent. Any holder of public office, Executive, Judiciary or Legislative, is a Servant of the citizenry of the U.S.A. first (Not a Leader). If most other occupations in the society have a mandatory retirement age shouldn't this one? Lets not even get started on the inherent conflict of interest in a Professional Public Servant.

...And yes...my grandmother displayed this kind of behavior, but that was so long ago and our understanding of the aging process has changed so much that the experience seems irrelevant to this thread.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I posted the above comment right before going to bed so the ideas wouldn't rattle around in my head and keep me awake.  I am not a proponent of mandatory anything based on age alone...it is an archaic and antisocial notion.

Submitted as a more reasonable course of action:

Holders of Public Office might undergo regularly scheduled Neurological Exams.  This would include all three branches of the socio-cultural construct known as 'government'.  The number could be limited by the potential widespread impact of their actions and decisions...definitely Executives, Judges and Legislators.

Maybe the genesis to term limits is making the competency requirements more stringent so nobody wants to serv more than one or two terms.  Heck corporate management has been imposing metrics driven evaluations on the workforce for so long maybe the practice should be expanded to private sector executives and board members.  Turn-About is Fair Play.

Included are a couple of links outlining Neurological Exams...Sorry, but alz.org requires clicking the link at the bottom of the page to get to the PDF that details the exam procedure:

Cleveland Clinic Neurological Exam 

Alzheimer's Association Neurological Exam 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Here you go:

Mild cognitive impairment (MCI) is the stage between the expected decline in memory and thinking that happens with age and the more serious decline of dementia. MCI may include problems with memory, language or judgment.

People with MCI may be aware that their memory or mental function has "slipped." Family and close friends also may notice changes. But these changes aren't bad enough to impact daily life or affect usual activities.

MCI may increase the risk of dementia caused by Alzheimer's disease or other brain disorders. But some people with mild cognitive impairment might never get worse. And some eventually get better.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Well...Technically...Doctor in The Senate...๐Ÿ˜Ž

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

They really don't want to lose that seat! 

Honored Social Butterfly

@KellytheBelly wrote:

They really don't want to lose that seat! 

I can't address that but it is almost elder abuse to see an old man like that, obviously experiencing a serious illness, being trotted out in public for all to see. Are they waiting for him to die on camera?????

Silver Conversationalist

Sure seems like they are. A tragic and misguided attempt at the sympathy vote.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP